Valve Publishes Initial Steam Linux Figures For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Wrong, only Ubuntu LTS will have 10 years of support, not flavors Read that as only main repo have that much support, not else like universe where flavors and much else is So, not everything is supported that much really, just fragments of it.

That is like Windows 10 LTSB scheme, that don't roll like usual one but don't give you so much too. Support is 10 years on every 2 years points on average, with also some "planned good byes" on every 2-4 years scenario So, "we will bump you to ask every 2 years by default to upgrade optionally (same like on Debian or Ubuntu basically), but if you change default then we consider that you know what you are doing"

I am very familiar with this 2-year upgrade scheme, since Debian that i use doing it like that since nearly 2 decades
    However long the support is, Kubuntu is a good choice for someone who is used to Windows and only does crap on Firefox or Chrome. IMHO, any decently done Plasma or XFCE desktop makes a good introduction to Linux desktops for Windows users.

Comment

So did anyone else notice the Direct X 8 or Lower GPUs had an increase in users?

I thought it was bad that I was considering using my old 8400 GS since my R7 260x is going downhill & fast. I'd never consider throwing in my very, very old Geforce 4 MX.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I'd never consider throwing in my very, very old Geforce 4 MX.
        The MX variant of the GeForce 4 is actually a DirectX 7 GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
          What a surprise, Proton has no effect !!!

I told you all, Proton is a mistake, it should have stayed a comunity project

Valve should have focused on stuff like: 30% tax if you only target 1 platform, and -5% per adittional platform

Money is the only way to force developpers who don't care about linux, to finally care about it
          I wouldn't call a jump from 0.3% to 0.8% a 'no effect'. Even if that seems like a small change, 0.5% out of like 20 million is still a hundred thousand additional users. There are close to 200,000 steam users on linux now, imagine if half of them bought a game for $60, that's 6 million dollars additional revenue. Sure, for the idiot shareholders of companies like EA and Activision who are disappointed with 500 million dollars because they were somehow expecting more (from a game that was the 2nd most sold game of that year too... imagine.) it might not mean much, but for actually sane companies, it adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

I wouldn't call a jump from 0.3% to 0.8% a 'no effect'. Even if that seems like a small change, 0.5% out of like 20 million is still a hundred thousand additional users. There are close to 200,000 steam users on linux now, imagine if half of them bought a game for $60, that's 6 million dollars additional revenue. Sure, for the idiot shareholders of companies like EA and Activision who are disappointed with 500 million dollars because they were somehow expecting more (from a game that was the 2nd most sold game of that year too... imagine.) it might not mean much, but for actually sane companies, it adds up.
            The survey has an accuracy of ±1% So it is all within the margin of error.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
              If you run the Steam client on Windows XP (or WINE set to emulate Windows XP) it has a red banner at the top saying that XP is no longer supported. However, it doesn't prevent you from using the software just because it's not officially supported. You can game on Windows XP to your heart's desire if you really want to, and apparently some still do (though, that could potentially include some Wine users emulating Windows XP if they have Wine configured to hide the fact that it's Wine).
              Only DX9 titles.. Oldest Windows supporting DX10 is Vista, and that is also EOL by now.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Only DX9 titles.. Oldest Windows supporting DX10 is Vista, and that is also EOL by now.
                There are still thousands of DX9 titles, because a lot of game companies would rather reach the widest possible audience than take advantage of the improvements in newer API versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

There are still thousands of DX9 titles, because a lot of game companies would rather reach the widest possible audience than take advantage of the improvements in newer API versions.
                  According to Steam more people are using DX8 and earlier cards, 1.9% of users, which is a factor of almost 20 times more than DX9 cards, which are at .12% to .13% of users at best. DX10 is 3.9%, DX11 is 5.8%, and DX12 is 88.2%.

Why would they pick DX9 these days to target the widest possible audience? Linux is a better target with 7 times more users.

My math is guesstimated.

Comment

However long the support is, Kubuntu is a good choice for someone who is used to Windows and only does crap on Firefox or Chrome. IMHO, any decently done Plasma or XFCE desktop makes a good introduction to Linux desktops for Windows users.
                    Every is OK, but any of these is better to upgrade on at least 2 years (to make upstream happy and not to become too much ancient) and that is recommended and default.

"Neither is staying more for everybody - neither is rolling for everybody" i like to say, but options are there so... as always if one know what he is doing, better for him
                    Last edited by dungeon; 03 February 2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

According to Steam more people are using DX8 and earlier cards, 1.9% of users, which is a factor of almost 20 times more than DX9 cards, which are at .12% to .13% of users at best. DX10 is 3.9%, DX11 is 5.8%, and DX12 is 88.2%.

Why would they pick DX9 these days to target the widest possible audience? Linux is a better target with 7 times more users.

My math is guesstimated.
                      Sorry, I didn't make my point clearly. I don't think any company is writing games for DX9 today or even in the last three years. I'm just saying that even 5 years ago companies were still targeting DX9 to reach wider audiences, and those games are still around and popular. I'm sure the next Battlefield, Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront, etc... etc... won't work with those. But World of Warcraft and League of Legends and similar are still popular and as far as I know still compatible with DX9.

Originally posted by skeeyv420
                      Some people I know who own a local business just this year upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. The only reason they did is that they bought a used PC that came with 7 after their XP machine caught too many STDs and died. I can't tell y'all how many times I fixed that POS. I had to do the embedded XP trick and all sorts of oddball shit to keep that thing working over the past few years. It was a nightmare.

Until then, they had a PC guy from a local repair shop, who eventually refused to do business with them, because XP was out of date and they'd blame him and not the OS for their problems (it was them and the OS causing their problems) and that he didn't know of any way to fix it for them. I was 5ft away and just said "you know you can just tweak the registry and it'll get updates from MS for 5 more years. It's not the best solution, but it works and it'll solve your problem." A few weeks after that, that guy just quit returning their calls...can't say that I blame him because they're straight up Luddites...only reason I help them is because I've known them since I was 3 or 4.

They're a mom and pop type operation and they don't rely on any single piece of Windows software. BSD would work for them since all they do is eBay, Amazon, email, and Facebook. I've offered to convert them to Linux or upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I've explained to them about MS dropping support...in one ear and out the other every single time with them saying dumbass stuff like "Well, it works for me so I don't want to change."
                      My experience is that some people - especially people that grew up without computers, but also a few people younger than that - treat computer and smart device user interfaces like a religious ritual. They don't think in terms of "this is a desktop" and "this is a file" and "this is a shortcut", just in discrete ordered steps to accomplish task. "Click in the thing that looks like that. Then move the mouse and click the thing that looks like this. Then type a password. Then..." and since they have no understanding of the underlying metaphors and features, changes to the user experience are a huge deal and not worth it.

On my mother's laptop, we set up all of the shortcuts the applications she uses as links on the desktop. If you took one of those shortcuts and moved it an inch away from its previous location, she can't find it. A few years ago a software update to some application changed one of the shortcuts. Maybe Internet Explorer went from "IE" to "Explorer" or maybe the color scheme in the Firefox icon changed slightly. I don't remember what happened. She lost her mind, freaking out that she couldn't figure out how computers work. She can drive, balance a checkbook, price compare offers for car insurance, calculate mortgage interest rates, and do itemized deductions on a tax return but if she lives long enough for Windows 7 to die me and the rest of her siblings are dreading the thought of setting her up with something else. I wouldn't dream of giving her a Chromebook or Windows 10. I might be able to set her up with Xubuntu using one of those Windows-knock-off themes. As long as I put every desktop icon in the same place and use the same fonts, she might be fooled.

Comment

Working...
                      X