Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Publishes Initial Steam Linux Figures For 2019

Phoronix: Valve Publishes Initial Steam Linux Figures For 2019

Valve has just published their monthly "Steam Survey" results that are always interesting for seeing the Linux usage metrics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So 27.92% Windows 7 steam users, on statcounter these are at 35.05%. How Microsoft planned obsolence division would push to cut that at least in about half (to match Windows XP's 19% from april 2014.) this year is yet to be seen

I guess Steam will support Windows 7 without Microsoft support to spread viruses around for the next 4/5 years starting from january 2020. like they do with Windows XP or maybe not just a guess. Percentange won't be near zero like where we are , but bellow 20% percentage seems to be cosidered to hurt them right but less

Interesting is also how steam still count here Windows XP, but don't support it... is probably yet another story from The Twilight Zone

We are stable at 0.82% so no comment on that really
    Last edited by dungeon; 01 February 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      I guess Steam will support Windows 7 without Microsoft support to spread viruses around for the next 4/5 years starting from january 2020. like they do with Windows XP or maybe not just a guess

Interesting is also how steam still count here Windows XP, but don't support it... is probably yet another story from The Twilight Zone
      If you run the Steam client on Windows XP (or WINE set to emulate Windows XP) it has a red banner at the top saying that XP is no longer supported. However, it doesn't prevent you from using the software just because it's not officially supported. You can game on Windows XP to your heart's desire if you really want to, and apparently some still do (though, that could potentially include some Wine users emulating Windows XP if they have Wine configured to hide the fact that it's Wine).

Comment

Well on this point, since it is not supported i don't think they count real ones. These 0.09% are likely Linux and OSX users running WINE

And that also because percentage of Windows XP users worldwide is much bigger elsewhere, statcounter shows 2.18% Desktop Linux as 1.61% in whole and so on

You see, from these 1.61% as a worldwide average, on steam there are 0.82%... which is hugely good number of linux gamers really and we should repect it
        Last edited by dungeon; 01 February 2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Does it please you if someone suffers, dungeon? You got issues, dude. Poor spirit, above all. Grow up.

Comment

I don't think it ever came down to 0.3 %.

We all know these figures aren't very accurate (it's been discussed enough) and I don't think there's so much variance from one month to the next or to the same month the year after. If it is now at 0.82%, it probably means that it is still at 1.2, 1.5%, as it always was, and the trend will eventually come back to normal at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Does it please you if someone suffers, dungeon?
              I think that currently Microsoft suffers the most, as they need to cut Windows 7 in less than an year, but these numbers does not look promising as is still 1/3 used worlwide

Their planned obsolence division must do something about it, like it or not They cut off already Windows XP support back in 2014. at about 1/5 worldwide usage, so if they could dimminish that 1/3 to 1/5 in less then an year that would be huge success so that people suffer less.

You got issues, dude. Poor spirit, above all. Grow up.
              I think that my spirit is near golden right, while mine soul is brave Companies do that all the time, using multitude of different methods and i am waitng to see which method will be applied from now on the most as dead end of Windows 7 is really really really near, but numbers does not look promising - so it might be some surprise as happy as happy new year next year, what do you think about it
              Last edited by dungeon; 01 February 2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Would be interesting to see more detailed stats, like which games are played for how long on each platform...

Comment

What a surprise, Proton has no effect !!!

I told you all, Proton is a mistake, it should have stayed a comunity project

Valve should have focused on stuff like: 30% tax if you only target 1 platform, and -5% per adittional platform

Money is the only way to force developpers who don't care about linux, to finally care about it

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I think that currently Microsoft suffers the most, as they need to cut Windows 7 in less than an year, but these numbers does not look promising as is still 1/3 used worlwide

Their planned obsolence division must do something about it, like it or not They cut off already Windows XP support back in 2014. at about 1/5 worldwide usage, so if they could dimminish that 1/3 to 1/5 in less then an year that would be huge success so that people suffer less.

I think that my spirit is near golden right, while mine soul is brave Companies do that all the time, using multitude of different methods and i am waitng to see which method will be applied from now on the most as dead end of Windows 7 is near
                    Some people I know who own a local business just this year upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. The only reason they did is that they bought a used PC that came with 7 after their XP machine caught too many STDs and died. I can't tell y'all how many times I fixed that POS. I had to do the embedded XP trick and all sorts of oddball shit to keep that thing working over the past few years. It was a nightmare.

Until then, they had a PC guy from a local repair shop, who eventually refused to do business with them, because XP was out of date and they'd blame him and not the OS for their problems (it was them and the OS causing their problems) and that he didn't know of any way to fix it for them. I was 5ft away and just said "you know you can just tweak the registry and it'll get updates from MS for 5 more years. It's not the best solution, but it works and it'll solve your problem." A few weeks after that, that guy just quit returning their calls...can't say that I blame him because they're straight up Luddites...only reason I help them is because I've known them since I was 3 or 4.

They're a mom and pop type operation and they don't rely on any single piece of Windows software. BSD would work for them since all they do is eBay, Amazon, email, and Facebook. I've offered to convert them to Linux or upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I've explained to them about MS dropping support...in one ear and out the other every single time with them saying dumbass stuff like "Well, it works for me so I don't want to change."

"My truck works, doesn't change the fact that I have an exhaust leak and I need to weld it shut. What I'm trying to say is that we're almost to the point where I can no longer fix your computer's 'exhaust leak' with quick weld. Now, this here is called Kubuntu and it'll have 10 years of long term support. Once I'm done setting it up, you really won't notice a difference on your day to day activities since you do everything on Firefox and Chrome and I'll have it set up to look and feel as close to what you currently have as I possibly can. I'll even teach you how to use if for free and give you free tech support. I can have everything done and have you up and running in less than four hours. If you like, I can bring over a live disk and you can try it out on your computer and it won't change or effect anything so there's no risk to try."

"No thanks. Windows 7 (with 312 pending updates and the monitor at the wrong resolution*) is just fine for me."

That's what MS is going to have to deal with to get people off of XP and 7. People who simply don't care how outdated and how vulnerable they are because they just do not understand how rapidly software evolves. People who don't care because it just works so why change. People who won't change anything because they are just too damn stubborn.

*They use 4:3 screens and they set 16:9 resolutions....for three different computer setups now....because they think that's how it's supposed to look....fucking annoying when I have to work on them.

Oh well, I got a free 1440x900 monitor from them because "it didn't display stuff right"....it does....I'm using it right now....

Comment

Working...
                    X