Valve Publishes Initial Steam Linux Figures For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Now, this here is called Kubuntu and it'll have 10 years of long term support.
    Wrong, only Ubuntu LTS will have 10 years of support, not flavors Read that as only main repo have that much support, not else like universe where flavors and much else is So, not everything is supported that much really, just fragments of it.

That is like Windows 10 LTSB scheme, that don't roll like usual one but don't give you so much too. Support is 10 years on every 2 years points on average, with also some "planned good byes" on every 2-4 years scenario So, "we will bump you to ask every 2 years by default to upgrade optionally (same like on Debian or Ubuntu basically), but if you change default then we consider that you know what you are doing"

I am very familiar with this 2-year upgrade scheme, since Debian that i use doing it like that since nearly 2 decades
    Last edited by dungeon; 02 February 2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Interesting is also how steam still count here Windows XP, but don't support it... is probably yet another story from The Twilight Zone
      Originally posted by lectrode View Post
      If you run the Steam client on Windows XP (or WINE set to emulate Windows XP) it has a red banner at the top saying that XP is no longer supported. However, it doesn't prevent you from using the software just because it's not officially supported. You can game on Windows XP to your heart's desire if you really want to, and apparently some still do (though, that could potentially include some Wine users emulating Windows XP if they have Wine configured to hide the fact that it's Wine).
      The main reason why Valve dropped support for Windows XP and Vista was Electron, or, more precisely, Chromium. As you may know, for years they have been using the version based on Chromium 49 from 2016. There is no reason to do it any longer (patching an outdated software on your own is really expensive and doesn't affect security very well). Unfortunately, Chromium 49 was the latest version with support for Windows XP and Vista. To be more specific, the vanilla version of Chromium 50 will not even launch on Windows XP (there is a fork called Slimjet 10 that will do that, but this is another story - anyway, it is based on Chromium 50, which is already years old).

We should not blame Valve for that. They really tried to provide support for Windows XP (and Vista) as long as possible. Please keep in mind that many of Chromium features (like sandboxing) just didn't work on Windows XP. Their only "fault" is that they sell games that are not officially supported on any platform (like Windows 98/2000/XP-only games). However, in many cases it is possible to run these titles under Windows 7, Windows 10 or Linux (Proton may be very helpful here). You just usually need a few patches (official or not) or some kind of "winetricks". Of course, this is not always the case. Some games won't work this way. And here is the good news for Windows XP users.
      You can still use the Steam client on Win XP. The last version that is known to work OOTB is the one that was released on January 4, 2019. You can easily disable any updates by forcing -noverifyfiles option. The -no-cef-sandbox, -no-sandbox and -cef-winxp may be useful here as well. The last update is known to no longer work under Windows XP, but you can always manually downgrade SteamUI.dll. What is more important here, for XP-only games you actually don't need Steam client at all. Many of you have probably heard that games on Steam use some kind of DRM provided by Valve. That's true, but CEG (Custom Executable Generation) was introduced in 2009 - over two years after the release of Windows Vista and in the same year as Windows 7 appeared). This means that there is no single XP-only game that would use it. This is probably true for Vista-only games as well. I don't even know if such things exist today. Even if there were Vista-only games in the past, they probably already gained support for Windows 7. The only problem here is about downloading games without the official Steam client. However, this can be done using SteamCMD. Anyway, you don't need Steam client to run Windows XP-only games, and there is no reason to use an unsupported and obsoleted system for newer titles.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177702-...omment-1159426

Comment

never once seen the survey on linux, and it's been a couple years by now...

Comment

@the_scx

Cool, i must say i like that current Windows XP users spirit, reminds me of times linux users lauhching steam without native steam support.

You can still use the Steam client on Win XP. The last version that is known to work OOTB is the one that was released on January 4, 2019.
          Ah OK, so that was still there for couple first days there in january, so statistics for XP here are probably real ones just from these couple days

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Ah OK, so that was still there for couple first days there in january, so statistics for XP here are probably real ones just from these couple days
            I would rather say that the February update broke compatibility. You know, Steam client updates don't come out every day.
            https://store.steampowered.com/news/48091/
            https://msfn.org/board/topic/177702-...omment-1159410
            Last edited by the_scx; 02 February 2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Well, I'm keeping my Windows 7 for a few more years, I don't care if Microsoft stops supporting it, I don't trust it anyway to install updates for it. I have other way to keep it safe.
              The only OS that I will upgrading to afterwards will be a GNU/Linux OS something like Kubuntu since KDE is so similar and customizable.
              By then I hope Valve will have improved gaming on this platform even more and KDE will have implemented more of the Windows 7 awesomeness.
              I hope just that Valve is not disappointed about the low numbers of these days and will continue their great work.
              With time these numbers will for sure increase. We're just not rushing yet to let behind great operating systems like Windows 7 and move completely to Linux, but we're very happy that the alternative exists and it's always getting better and better.

Comment

When Valve releases Half-Life 3/VR they should make it Linux-exclusive for like at least 6 months.. lets see what that'll do with the stats..

Comment

This seems fairly consistent with what other games are reporting (like XPlane's 1.4%). No one wants to bother to install another OS. A few nerds would do this but the majority would just stick to what they know best. This percentage will only significantly change if there a successful console running Linux.

Comment

This survey appeared on me the other day, and before that was not more than six months. Coincidence? That's how they make growth%

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post
                      Would be interesting to see more detailed stats, like which games are played for how long on each platform...
                      Valve decided that extended statistics is only needed for 2.5% Mac OS devices.

Comment

Working...
                      X