Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unity 2019.1 Beta Deprecates Linux x86, Offers Up Many Vulkan & Linux Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Are you one of those guys that built their career on Adobe Flash? XD
    I hope not. I knew a few of them, I think they work at McDonalds now.
    They either had a very short career or that McDonalds is hiring unusually old people. I've never seen people past their thirties working at McDonalds.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    Why argue so much? UE4 vs. Unity is just a matter of perspective.
    Its actually Unity and proprietary products like Construct / RPGMaker that I dislike seeing within industry. Vendor lockin is something that can simply be avoided and yet so many kids walk into their trap. Why? Because they are inexperienced and naive. Unity thrive on this and it is a little bit sickening to see. Whether UE4 or a custom engine is the replacement, I don't really mind. So long as it isn't a prosumer toy. Yes, at home or in primary school it is fine but for large professional projects it is the incorrect "tool" for the job.

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    For many games, it is not important if its engine or the OS die after release. Many games ar not played anymore some years after their release..
    I actually find that a little bit unacceptable. I try at every turn to fight against this kind of consumer mentality. Again, toys like Unity thrive on this.

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post
    I'm still failing to see how that would mean that Unity is dying. You just don't have a clue about how the game industry works.
    Are you one of those guys that built their career on Adobe Flash? XD
    I hope not. I knew a few of them, I think they work at McDonalds now. They put all their eggs in one basket and were left with no products, no projects and no skills at the end. I don't know whether to feel smug or pity them :/
    Last edited by kpedersen; 01 February 2019, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Emmanuel Deloget
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Because they don't make revenue from kids playing with their toys. I thought that was obvious.
    Yep. Certainly.

Why don't you accept that you're out of your league here?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    That says much about you.

And you can do whatever difference you want, I'm still failing to see how that would mean that Unity is dying. You just don't have a clue about how the game industry works.
    Because they don't make revenue from kids playing with their toys. I thought that was obvious.

Leave a comment:

• Emmanuel Deloget
    replied
    Unlike you, I make a difference between toys and games. Guess where most Unity "games" fit.
    That says much about you.

And you can do whatever difference you want, I'm still failing to see how that would mean that Unity is dying. You just don't have a clue about how the game industry works.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    * their platform is the de-factor standard for nearly every single indie studio out there ;
    * they now have a 45% market share for all freaking games, including consoles, mobiles, PC ;
    * this market share has been in constant progression for years ;

So... What are you saying exactly?

(and Linux support is important for an engine ; that's how you build your path towards android support).
    Unlike you, I make a difference between toys and games. Guess where most Unity "games" fit.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied

Adobe Flash is a great example. Read up on it. Many more games were made with Flash than in Unity and it still died. Why do you think Unity could possibly be different?
    Why argue so much? UE4 vs. Unity is just a matter of perspective.
    For many games, it is not important if its engine or the OS die after release. Many games ar not played anymore some years after their release. For those games unity is fine. Games that shall last many years better use UE4 or Godot and go through the hustle of compiling / fixing them.

Leave a comment:

• Emmanuel Deloget
    replied
    Dies by being obsoleted by UE4 or other engines? Like how Flash died because it got outcompeted by HTML5 etc.It has better than Unity, and Linux support doesn't matter for an engine dying or not anyway.
    * their platform is the de-factor standard for nearly every single indie studio out there ;
    * they now have a 45% market share for all freaking games, including consoles, mobiles, PC ;
    * this market share has been in constant progression for years ;

So... What are you saying exactly?

(and Linux support is important for an engine ; that's how you build your path towards android support).

Leave a comment:

• Zoll
    replied

Unity doesn't even provide a Linux build of the editor on their website. At least Epic provides a page of documentation haha.

Can you name any AAA Unity games released for Linux? Not only do most Unity users not know what a Linux is but they can barely write games correctly for the Windows platform, let alone look at cross platform development XD.

Just checked. Unity has labelled their Linux builds as "Experimental". At least Epic has marked their builds as stable (and has actual documentation to match). So we can even safely say that Unity does not provide official support for Linux. Poor show.
    I just downloaded Unity Hub Appimage, and now installing latest Unity beta. I have absolutely no experience with Unity before, and I'm just doing this as a side-hobby. You can say whatever you want on Unity, but so far, it's seems pretty straight forward for a Linux user to get started.

Does UE4 prevent the community from building and distributing binaries for the engine+editor? I'd imagine it would be a LOT more accessible if there is a PPA/AUR repo with stable/dev builds available.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Shame allot of Unity3D developers are not budging from their current build versions (pre vulkan). Seems its too hard for them to update to latest engine built.

I do hope EPIC at least embrace Vulkan, if they go the DX12 route it will be quite sad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X