More Details On The WineD3D Vulkan Plans & Why DXVK Isn't Being Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Details On The WineD3D Vulkan Plans & Why DXVK Isn't Being Used

Phoronix: More Details On The WineD3D Vulkan Plans & Why DXVK Isn't Being Used

Yesterday we shared that Wine developers at CodeWeavers have begun exploring a Vulkan back-end for WineD3D for their Direct3D 11 support and lower, separate from their work on VKD3D that is targeting Direct3D 12 atop Vulkan. More details on that effort have now been shared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did they try to reach out to the VK9 developer as well?

Comment

I really understand that he does not take care of the DXVK Github at all. Outdated and wrong information that has been reported many times, he does not fix it and just codes away. And he can and does not have to care Valve pays him and in fact the docs on compiling and stuff that directly relate to DXVK as well are WAY better on the Proton Github then on DXVK itself, I actually found things I was looking for there.

But even if he does not respond that does not mean they could not just fork it, implement it, write patches for it and eventually w8 if they can work together after-all or just have separate branches that grow apart. Well if its happening fast I hope they roll out their cure C stuff soon. I am just guessing it will take ages.

Comment

Originally posted by red23 View Post
        I really understand that he does not take care of the DXVK Github at all. Outdated and wrong information that has been reported many times, he does not fix it and just codes away. And he can and does not have to care Valve pays him and in fact the docs on compiling and stuff that directly relate to DXVK as well are WAY better on the Proton Github then on DXVK itself, I actually found things I was looking for there.

But even if he does not respond that does not mean they could not just fork it, implement it, write patches for it and eventually w8 if they can work together after-all or just have separate branches that grow apart. Well if its happening fast I hope they roll out their cure C stuff soon. I am just guessing it will take ages.
        ...what? DXVK is very well maintained in general and sees frequent updates for issues that are noticed.

Comment

DXVK is incredibly easy to compile, and the instructions are 100% correct and work first time.

If you can't do it then you're just an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by red23 View Post
            Valve pays him
            Aren't Valve and CodeWeavers working hand in hand ( https://www.codeweavers.com/about/bl...ajor-milestone ) ? So maybe they should try to talk to their friends at Valve instead of mailing that guy directly... Or did they just need a lame excuse?

Comment

I'm surprised, that Philip didn't respond to direct e-mails from Wine developers.

Comment

Oh, come on.

Comment

How could they not get a hold of him? There's a ******g discord server that the guy is always on, and anyone can reach him on. Just go on there state who you are, and ask if you can email him some stuff if you don't want to talk in public... At first I thought maybe this could have been partially the fault of both sides, but now it just looks like codeweavers are a bunch of morons.
                  Last edited by ramrod; 25 January 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    I'm surprised, that Philip didn't respond to direct e-mails from Wine developers.
                    this is ridiculous. developers aren't supposed to handle random mails with business propositions, that's management's job. people working in corporate environment(codeweavers) should know that they have to escalate via their manager. it's not like valve is some secret cabal and it is unknown who manages their linux team

Comment

Working...
                    X