More Details On The WineD3D Vulkan Plans & Why DXVK Isn't Being Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

May be they aren't interested in using some proprietary IM platform, who knows. Matrix would have been better (it's FOSS). Regardless, E-mail is an acceptable communication tool.
    Most likely the email provider is not run by either party so that seems moot.
    Either way, that was not the point I was making.

Comment

Just putting this here since the article makes it seem like the wine dev only reached out once...which does not appear to be accurate:
      In February 2018, we reached out to Philip Rebohle—the author of DXVK—to start a conversation around whether there were any areas we could cooperate on. [...]
      That e-mail went unanswered. Now, I appreciate that different people have different ideas about what's acceptable and what isn't, but personally I think that's extremely rude and uncivilised. Nevertheless, e-mail gets lost sometimes, sometimes people are busy, everyone gets a second chance. So a few months later, since I was organising WineConf 2018, I sent Philip a personal invitation to attend WineConf, and perhaps discuss things there. That invitation went unanswered too, at which point I was pretty much done with DXVK. It is my understanding that since then both Jeremy White and CodeWeavers' partners at Valve have tried reaching out to Philip on the subject, but evidently with little success. Bottom line, cooperation only works if both sides are trying.
      Last edited by lectrode; 25 January 2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Anyway, someone should mediate between them. Sounds like if they put aside their disagreements, they can come to some to productive cooperation.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
          Just putting this here since the article makes it seem like the wine dev only reached out once...which is not accurate:
          In the article I mentioned the two occasions: "In February of last year and before WineConf 2018 they reached out via email, but to no response."
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by red23 View Post
            I really understand that he does not take care of the DXVK Github at all. Outdated and wrong information that has been reported many times, he does not fix it and just codes away.
            That's not been my experience. Philip was always very active on the GitHub page for DXVK, responded quickly and typically seemed to be investigating all of the (valid) raised issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

In the article I mentioned the two occasions: "In February of last year and before WineConf 2018 they reached out via email, but to no response."
              Do we know that the invitation was by email? Henri does not specify that does he?

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
                Just putting this here since the article makes it seem like the wine dev only reached out once...which is not accurate:
                He should have tried harder, or tried a different approch, before deciding to spend probably thousands of man hours on a duplicate project. Just my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by Enverex View Post

That's not been my experience. Philip was always very active on the GitHub page for DXVK, responded quickly and typically seemed to be investigating all of the (valid) raised issues.
                  I think he's been the quickest dev for me ever.
                  Barely a couple hours after I filed a bug he was investigating it, and had it fixed not that much later.
                  I can only wish more important parts of the system had such quick support.

Comment

Too few attempts IMHO, telemarketing where I live, calls me 5 times in a row, 3 times per day, sends me email and just give up when I answer and lie telling that the number and email doesn't belong to me.

They tried 2 times, it will be 1 full year after the first attempt, and now that is public the fact they are trying to reach him, they probably will reach him through more effective way like discord/github/this forum/whatever phillipe really uses

Comment

Here are some other methods he could have tried.
                      Github
                      Discord
                      Asked a frined to use Discord because it's "disgusting propriatary trash"
                      Ask Valve to setup a confrence call
                      Asked Valve for more contact info
                      Mention that he's is interested in working with Philip via mailing list resulting in a phronix article probably
                      Bring it up on any of the many forums Philip posts like here or reddit or gamingonlinux
                      Use a really loud megaphone
                      Last edited by ramrod; 25 January 2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X