Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Unofficial Fedora Remix Is Now Available For Windows' WSL But It Will Cost You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangix
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I've got no problem with someone associated with Fedora/RedHat doing that, but it's pretty shitty to have some random guy just copy a bunch of packages and try to make money off someone else's project.

I mean, if they were doing tons of integration work or something worthwhile then I'd be ok with it. But I assume it took them basically no effort to create.
    https://youtu.be/_Mvp-nOz9Gk?t=97

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangix View Post
    It annoys me that a lot of open source people have opposition to making money off of open source, despite RMS being in favor of it.
    I've got no problem with someone associated with Fedora/RedHat doing that, but it's pretty shitty to have some random guy just copy a bunch of packages and try to make money off someone else's project.

I mean, if they were doing tons of integration work or something worthwhile then I'd be ok with it. But I assume it took them basically no effort to create.

Leave a comment:

• elvenbone
    replied
    Isn't it a trademark infringement, when some random guy takes money for something and calls it Fedora?
    "Fedora" and the Fedora logo are trademarks of Red Hat, Inc.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    One of the useful additions to Fedora Remix for WSL and WLinux is that when paired with a Windows X11 client can allow for GUI application support, albeit unaccelerated.
    I had a couple distros running in full graphics mode last spring. opeSuse and Ubuntu if I recall correctly. Just had to download that weird x11 for Windoze graphics driver thingy. "xming" or whatever.

The whole experience seemed pretty stupid, given that you could just run a vbox instance with better performance.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by hreindl View Post
    who installs that bullshit?
    Bill Gates of course

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    It is not expensive at all, as it save your time needed to learn how to do it

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Not to mention the ridiculousness of the constant reassignment of file formats from apps like irfanview, 7-zip and mpc-hc back to Windows versions.

Leave a comment:

• Grogan
    replied
    It makes me sick that they are selling Free/Open Source software in the Microsoft store. Microsoft gets a 30% cut of that "$10" too. I don't begrudge anyone a buck for their work, but when the first option presented in your face to download a Windows build of something becomes a "Get it from the Microsoft Store!" button it just feels sleazy.

(I'm a self employed technician and when I set up a new Windows 10 computer for someone that's never had it before, I delete all links to the Store and Microsoft Edge and other offensive things. Local logins only, no Microsoft sign-ins to ask permission to use their computer, either. Classic Shell mostly still works at this time, though some of the old shell functionality is gone from WIndows. I install desktop versions of software too, no UWP apps. They don't get to pollute the computing environment of MY people)

Leave a comment:

• Mangix
    replied
    It annoys me that a lot of open source people have opposition to making money off of open source, despite RMS being in favor of it.

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    So is this guy on the Fedora team or he was just smart enough to get in first and sell Fedora to noobs?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X