Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Unofficial Fedora Remix Is Now Available For Windows' WSL But It Will Cost You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Unofficial Fedora Remix Is Now Available For Windows' WSL But It Will Cost You

Phoronix: An Unofficial Fedora Remix Is Now Available For Windows' WSL But It Will Cost You

Adding to the growing Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) ecosystem alongside Ubuntu, openSUSE, Debian, and others is now Fedora Remix. But this spin of Fedora catered for WSL isn't free and not officially sanctioned or supported by Red Hat nor the Fedora project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
    "But this spin of Fedora catered for WSL isn't free and not officially sanctioned or supported by Red Hat nor the Fedora project"

who installs that bullshit?
    Windows store users.

Comment

The same people who installed LibreOffice from the Windows store...
      The free and open-source Microsoft Office challenger called LibreOffice is now available in the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 PCs and Tablets. What is concerning, though, is that the app's publisher does not appear to be LibreOffice's actual developer, but rather a 3rd party that also prompts you to purchase it for $2.99.

Comment

So is this guy on the Fedora team or he was just smart enough to get in first and sell Fedora to noobs?

Comment

It annoys me that a lot of open source people have opposition to making money off of open source, despite RMS being in favor of it.

Comment

It makes me sick that they are selling Free/Open Source software in the Microsoft store. Microsoft gets a 30% cut of that "$10" too. I don't begrudge anyone a buck for their work, but when the first option presented in your face to download a Windows build of something becomes a "Get it from the Microsoft Store!" button it just feels sleazy.

(I'm a self employed technician and when I set up a new Windows 10 computer for someone that's never had it before, I delete all links to the Store and Microsoft Edge and other offensive things. Local logins only, no Microsoft sign-ins to ask permission to use their computer, either. Classic Shell mostly still works at this time, though some of the old shell functionality is gone from WIndows. I install desktop versions of software too, no UWP apps. They don't get to pollute the computing environment of MY people)

Comment

Not to mention the ridiculousness of the constant reassignment of file formats from apps like irfanview, 7-zip and mpc-hc back to Windows versions.
              Hi

Comment

It is not expensive at all, as it save your time needed to learn how to do it

Comment

Bill Gates of course

Comment

One of the useful additions to Fedora Remix for WSL and WLinux is that when paired with a Windows X11 client can allow for GUI application support, albeit unaccelerated.
                    I had a couple distros running in full graphics mode last spring. opeSuse and Ubuntu if I recall correctly. Just had to download that weird x11 for Windoze graphics driver thingy. "xming" or whatever.

The whole experience seemed pretty stupid, given that you could just run a vbox instance with better performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X