Quake 2 Gets Real-Time Path Tracing Powered By NVIDIA RTX / VK_NV_ray_tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    I wish they chose the freshest flavor of DOOM 3 BFG source code and worked on top of that. Why don't we have an advanced open source game engine that is recent and not stale? After decades is there anybody who can rival John Carmack?
    Does this count: https://godotengine.org/ ?

Random 3D demo of what the Godot engine can do:

Preview of the third person shooter demo that will be coming with out together with Godot 3.1

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Why even turn this into a fanboy flame war? RTX is nice but it addresses only those few shelling out $800 for an NVidia GPU while large portions of the PC gaming market and console do not support it. It remains to be seen, which devs will choose to implement it. It is a nice piece of tech demoing where things are going but enabling it greatly reduces the FPS in BFV even on the RTX2080Ti. Also, all this fixed function hardware has increased the necessary die size and the price with it. I totally get AMD's stance on the matter that the effort to implement it will only pay off when at least midrange GPUs can provide this feature at decent performance. Based on this situation, it is a clever strategy to skip out on RT for now and use their resources to catch in terms of efficiency and effective performance. Once RT is ready for a broader audience, they will offer it.
      The RTX 2060 costs $350 and can perfectly run RTRT at 1080p. Maybe you should stop with turning the reality inside out.

Actually I won't comment in this topic any more. Anything that's not 100% open source friendly is evil for most vocal Phoronix readers and I don't want to have anything with that. That's a worldview which is limited at best and imbecilic at worst.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        The RTX 2060 costs $350 and can perfectly run RTRT at 1080p.
        At barely 30fps yes...

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

At barely 30fps yes...
          You're lying though your teeth but who cares? Enough with fanatics. This is getting on my nerves.

Vega 64 and RX 590 are the best GPUs in the world. NVIDIA permanently sucks. Hope, you're happy. And also f off.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            It looks really nice.
            It's really neat, AND when it's running, it slows down everything else significantly: scrolling terminals are like slideshows on my 2080Ti.

Comment

Interesting use of noise reduction. You can see it fail where there is a lot of change though.

Also, as they say this is the first raycasting-only game. Having written my own raytracer I was quite sceptical that I didn't see stochastic noise in the BF5 screenshots.

Comment

You're lying though your teeth but who cares? Enough with fanatics. This is getting on my nerves.

Vega 64 and RX 590 are the best GPUs in the world. NVIDIA permanently sucks. Hope, you're happy. And also f off.
                He's not lying technically, just imprecise in his statement. If you game at 4K, RTX makes it go from playable 60+ fps to barely above 30 fps at Medium preset.

Also, even if ray tracing is the future, first generation raytracing is not a future-proof investment, nor is it good value for your money. Just because NVIDIA is ahead with their designs doesn't make every single card they put out a good buy.
                Last edited by Aeder; 18 January 2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I was talking about 1080p RT, now we're already talking about 4K? How many gamers out there run 4K monitors? I'll tell you a secret: less than 2% (3840 x 2160 1.42%): https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ Now let's bitch about how the RTX 2060 is not suitable for 4K. WTF?

Also, how many AMD GPUs support RTX? Last time I checked it was zero.

This forum is clearly infested by AMD fanatics. We need more people from WCCFTech here. Let's have some anti-NVIDIA mayhem.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                    On the surface, it is basically the same idea.
                    But for performance reason due to the limitation of the hardware back then, you only use a single ray per column of the screen (320 rays for a 320x200 screen), it's a purely 2D technique.
                    I've been looking around for some clear difference between ray casting & ray tracing, even wikipedia is a bit vague about it. Your post kind of cleared it up, though. Thanks!

So how can we define ray casting? How does it differ from regular ray tracing?

Is it because the ray doesn't refract or reflect?
                    Is it because it uses only 1 ray per column?
                    Is it both?

Comment

I was talking about 1080p RT, now we're already talking about 4K? How many gamers out there run 4K monitors? I'll tell you a secret: less than 2% (3840 x 2160 1.42%): https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ Now let's bitch about how the RTX 2060 is not suitable for 4K. WTF?

Also, how many AMD GPUs support RTX? Last time I checked it was zero.

This forum is clearly infested by AMD fanatics. We need more people from WCCFTech here. Let's have some anti-NVIDIA mayhem.
                      Oh my god. This is one comment from you I did not skip and you're ranting, insulting, and coming up with imaginary friends to support your claims.
                      Would you mind reconsidering how you express yourself eventually?

Comment

Working...
                      X