Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Beta Update Now Allows Per-Game Enabling Of Steam Play, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by woife View Post
    "... is the ability to force-enable Steam Play on a per-game basis via the title's properties pane"

Yeah
    Just tried it out, works like really well!
    I bought Painkiller Hell and Damnation a long time ago when it was on sale, but I could never play it because the Linux version was completely broken (heavy visual artifacts).
    The port wouldn't even launch for me at all, so I guess you're lucky. In any case, you're not missing out, that game is a disaster, a huge step down from the original game.

Leave a comment:

• dpanter
    replied
    MXGP3 is a good example of a bad Linux port.

Leave a comment:

• woife
    replied
    "... is the ability to force-enable Steam Play on a per-game basis via the title's properties pane"

Yeah
    Just tried it out, works like really well!
    I bought Painkiller Hell and Damnation a long time ago when it was on sale, but I could never play it because the Linux version was completely broken (heavy visual artifacts).

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    This also allows for forcing Linux-native games to be run under Steam Play instead, should you so desire for comparison purposes or avoiding a buggy Linux native game.
    Finally!

I hate GarrysMod which loads an insane amount of weird dynamic libraries on Linux which makes VIRT usage go past 4gb on larger servers which results in a crash since the game is 32-bit.

Leave a comment:

• JPFSanders
    replied
    And this is why for the foreseeable future my money is with Steam.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Just curious, What ports are broken ATM? I would be curious to see if there might be any workarounds.
    I forget if it's Feral (I'm pretty sure it is) but Company of Heroes 2 is pretty bad. It works but the performance is terrible, and it seems you don't have access to higher-quality textures.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by khnazile View Post
    Why do we even need native steam version now, regular windows steam could be started in standalone proton just fine? Oh, wait a minute....
    Sorry, I don't get the joke. "Oh, wait a minute...." what?

Leave a comment:

• khnazile
    replied
    Why do we even need native steam version now, regular windows steam could be started in standalone proton just fine? Oh, wait a minute....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, now I can hope they'll add a faster way to configure Steam's wine prefixes. In pretty much every case I have to dump out their scripts to run winecfg and enable a virtual desktop, plenty of games crap themselves and don't play nicely with dwm. It would also be nice to let people manually fix games that need some configuration to even run (like using winetricks to install .net).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mostly unrelated, but how do I report an issue with the hid_steam kernel module with the Steam Controller? If I "fling" the cursor (swipe over the right touchpad and lift), the cursor goes a bit in the direction I swiped, and then goes erratically in some other direction (usually straight up or down, sometimes backwards).

The SC in that basic keyboard/mouse mode works and maps perfectly for the one game I want to play with it; I don't want Steam client particularly. The experience is great aside from that one issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X