Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Beta Update Now Allows Per-Game Enabling Of Steam Play, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Beta Update Now Allows Per-Game Enabling Of Steam Play, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Steam Beta Update Now Allows Per-Game Enabling Of Steam Play, Other Improvements

It was just yesterday that Valve dropped a big Steam client update including several long sought improvements for Linux gamers. Today that's been succeeded by another rather nice beta upgrade...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bloody brilliant!

Comment

Finally! Now I can play in some broken Feral ports via Proton Thanks Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Finally! Now I can play in some broken Feral ports via Proton Thanks Valve.
        Just curious, What ports are broken ATM? I would be curious to see if there might be any workarounds.

Comment

Broken can be a term used to describe crappy performance also. For example Tomb Raider has some terrible performing areas in the native linux version and also looks a bit crappy under OpenGL compared to DX11.

I think ROTR is fine however.

Comment

Mostly unrelated, but how do I report an issue with the hid_steam kernel module with the Steam Controller? If I "fling" the cursor (swipe over the right touchpad and lift), the cursor goes a bit in the direction I swiped, and then goes erratically in some other direction (usually straight up or down, sometimes backwards).

The SC in that basic keyboard/mouse mode works and maps perfectly for the one game I want to play with it; I don't want Steam client particularly. The experience is great aside from that one issue.

Comment

Well, now I can hope they'll add a faster way to configure Steam's wine prefixes. In pretty much every case I have to dump out their scripts to run winecfg and enable a virtual desktop, plenty of games crap themselves and don't play nicely with dwm. It would also be nice to let people manually fix games that need some configuration to even run (like using winetricks to install .net).

Comment

Why do we even need native steam version now, regular windows steam could be started in standalone proton just fine? Oh, wait a minute....

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                  Why do we even need native steam version now, regular windows steam could be started in standalone proton just fine? Oh, wait a minute....
                  Sorry, I don't get the joke. "Oh, wait a minute...." what?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    Just curious, What ports are broken ATM? I would be curious to see if there might be any workarounds.
                    I forget if it's Feral (I'm pretty sure it is) but Company of Heroes 2 is pretty bad. It works but the performance is terrible, and it seems you don't have access to higher-quality textures.

Comment

Working...
                    X