No announcement yet.

Steam Client Beta Updated With Many Linux Fixes, Vulkan Caching Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see the settings thing get fixed. I thought it was odd to have to restart steam after touching literally anything in the settings window.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      You can go into the Steam Play options and enable Proton for every Windows game. They just won't support it if it doesn't work. You probably knew that already, I just wanted to make sure. I haven't tried it with anything from Feral.
      The complaint is that this doesn't work for anything that has a native Linux port on Steam. Github issue 5638.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Still no SteamPlay option for games with broken naitve version? Like some of Feral games? Sad... Maybe it coming later. I hope...
        Most people are begging for more native titles. So it doesn't make too much sense for them to do that.

Which Feral game do you think is broken, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by toojays View Post

The complaint is that this doesn't work for anything that has a native Linux port on Steam. Github issue 5638.
          Yes, this feature is really missing. If a Linux port is essentially only a wine wrapper, I would prefer to use Proton (with DXVK). Or if the OpenGL version performs poorly. Then there are still several games that officially support Linux but just do not work or need work arounds that are poorly documented. There are enough reasons why it should be allowed to use Steam Play in these cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

You can go into the Steam Play options and enable Proton for every Windows game. They just won't support it if it doesn't work. You probably knew that already, I just wanted to make sure. I haven't tried it with anything from Feral.
            Interesting. Where are these options located? I've long wondered how you can enable unsupported titles.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Interesting. Where are these options located? I've long wondered how you can enable unsupported titles.
              Go to Steam -> Settings, and then the Steam Play option at the bottom left, then check the box "Enable Steam Play for all titles" and then in the "Compatibility tool" box select the Proton version you want. I just selected the latest, Proton 3.16-6 Beta.

(Edit: I am only running regular Steam. If I opted in for the Steam Beta, I imagine more versions of Proton might be available.)

Comment

Originally posted by toojays View Post

I see, thanks.

Comment

I don't see this as such a great victory. Some of these bugs have been present for years and others are still there. For all its linux-oriented developments it sometimes seems to me valve is completely skipping support for steam itself on linux.
                  Last edited by Almindor; 17 January 2019, 02:53 PM. Reason: it's -> its

Comment

Working...
                  X