X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Amethyst is also something to watch, as a promising open source game engine. Whereas Godot is aiming for the traditional outdated object-oriented architecture, Amethyst is building itself around a data-oriented approach with an entity-component system.
    Can it actually be used to create games? Or is just yet another work in progress game engine? There are dozens of those out there.

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Amethyst is also something to watch, as a promising open source game engine. Whereas Godot is aiming for the traditional outdated object-oriented architecture, Amethyst is building itself around a data-oriented approach with an entity-component system.
    Official website of the Amethyst game engine.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    I think what we need above anything is more actual open source games, not the (n+m)th open source game engine.
    Godot isn't exactly new so I don't see why you are complaining.

Leave a comment:

• dragorth
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    We evaluated it for one of our larger projects. However we needed to connect it with a non-trivial C++ middleware library.

In the end we couldn't be arsed writing bindings between the godot scripting language and our native code.

Their native interface had improved but UE4 has something "special" in that C/C++ is the first class language, any other DSL are toys.

Like Scratch, Flash and Unity, its great for kids learning I suppose.
    How long ago was this? 3.0 introduced GDNative, an interface for many different languages, including c++, to allow exactly what you describe. Now, I don't know if it was enough for your actual use case, so knowing if you were evaluating 2 or 3 is useful.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    We evaluated it for one of our larger projects. However we needed to connect it with a non-trivial C++ middleware library.

In the end we couldn't be arsed writing bindings between the godot scripting language and our native code.

Their native interface had improved but UE4 has something "special" in that C/C++ is the first class language, any other DSL are toys.

Like Scratch, Flash and Unity, its great for kids learning I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    Godot is really nice. I wrote a basic mobile game with it in version 2 and it worked flawlessly. They're at the level of ease of use of Unity but somehow I find their internals better (not that I know what unity internals look like).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    I think what we need above anything is more actual open source games, not the (n+m)th open source game engine.
    How come? Engines have much longer lifetimes than games and as such can benefit a lot more from the open source development model. A game is something you eventually finish and release, and then you move on to the next one.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• epaaj
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Is there any free open source game out there that is using Godot?
    Maybe check out some of these examples? I've no experience in Godot myself but might check some of these out.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/godot/comme...h_good_source/

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Is there any free open source game out there that is using Godot?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X