No announcement yet.

Godot 3.1 Reaches Beta As One Of The Most Promising Open-Source Game Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 3.1 Reaches Beta As One Of The Most Promising Open-Source Game Engines

Phoronix: Godot 3.1 Reaches Beta As One Of The Most Promising Open-Source Game Engines

The developers behind the open-source, cross-platform 2D/3D Godot game engine have placed a release freeze on the upcoming Godot 3.1 with today's beta reveal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been a Patreon of those project for a while & they're really doing some amazing stuff!

Comment

Is there any free open source game out there that is using Godot?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Is there any free open source game out there that is using Godot?
        Maybe check out some of these examples? I've no experience in Godot myself but might check some of these out.

Comment

I think what we need above anything is more actual open source games, not the (n+m)th open source game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            I think what we need above anything is more actual open source games, not the (n+m)th open source game engine.
            How come? Engines have much longer lifetimes than games and as such can benefit a lot more from the open source development model. A game is something you eventually finish and release, and then you move on to the next one.

Comment

Godot is really nice. I wrote a basic mobile game with it in version 2 and it worked flawlessly. They're at the level of ease of use of Unity but somehow I find their internals better (not that I know what unity internals look like).

Comment

We evaluated it for one of our larger projects. However we needed to connect it with a non-trivial C++ middleware library.

In the end we couldn't be arsed writing bindings between the godot scripting language and our native code.

Their native interface had improved but UE4 has something "special" in that C/C++ is the first class language, any other DSL are toys.

Like Scratch, Flash and Unity, its great for kids learning I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  We evaluated it for one of our larger projects. However we needed to connect it with a non-trivial C++ middleware library.

In the end we couldn't be arsed writing bindings between the godot scripting language and our native code.

Their native interface had improved but UE4 has something "special" in that C/C++ is the first class language, any other DSL are toys.

Like Scratch, Flash and Unity, its great for kids learning I suppose.
                  How long ago was this? 3.0 introduced GDNative, an interface for many different languages, including c++, to allow exactly what you describe. Now, I don't know if it was enough for your actual use case, so knowing if you were evaluating 2 or 3 is useful.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    Godot isn't exactly new so I don't see why you are complaining.

Comment

Working...
                    X