No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Usage Ended 2018 At Around 0.82%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux is growing! Hear the Linux penguing roar!

Comment

I sometimes kill a few minutes on various Linux boxes with little games. In December I gifted myself a Threadripper + Vega56. Quite wonderful workhorse. Of course I tried several more demanding games and even got Dark Souls III which works perfectly fine with Proton.

Did I get a survey the last two years? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        That doesn't mean it won't ever work, that just means it current can't...
        Most anti-cheat and some copy protections won't ever work.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          That's a good point, it's often the game controlling shitware that causes a game to be non portable or unusable through interpreters and translators.

P.S. I just though of my travails back in the day... I worked my ass off compiling all the shit I needed to make America's Army run. After all that, the thing I couldn't get to work properly (and consequently couldn't join a game and could only spectate for a limited time before getting kicked off) was Punkbuster. This was a native port, not through Wine or anything. I was so mad, I went back to basic training (the only part I could play) shot my irritating drill instructor and went to Leavenworth, then deleted the game hehe
          Last edited by Grogan; 02 January 2019, 06:31 PM. Reason: Just adding something

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
            P.S. I just though of my travails back in the day... I worked my ass off compiling all the shit I needed to make America's Army run. After all that, the thing I couldn't get to work properly (and consequently couldn't join a game and could only spectate for a limited time before getting kicked off) was Punkbuster. This was a native port, not through Wine or anything. I was so mad, I went back to basic training (the only part I could play) shot my irritating drill instructor and went to Leavenworth, then deleted the game hehe
            That was such a great game especially with linux support for the time. It's still around but it's more like call of duty or something now .

Comment

For 10 years on Linux I got the survey ONCE!

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Most anti-cheat and some copy protections won't ever work.
                Most? According to what? There's plenty of games out there that still have cheaters out there, and even more games that were successfully pirated.

Comment

Most? According to what? There's plenty of games out there that still have cheaters out there, and even more games that were successfully pirated.
                  Sorry, what? I was referring to the fact that they won't work on Linux (and Wine). Obviously, if you use a "crack" to remove the protection it will work, because at that point there's no protection anymore. Same with "cheat bypass".

That doesn't really help the legit players.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Sorry, what? I was referring to the fact that they won't work on Linux (and Wine). Obviously, if you use a "crack" to remove the protection it will work, because at that point there's no protection anymore. Same with "cheat bypass".

That doesn't really help the legit players.
                    You said "copy protection". Unless that means something I'm not aware of, isn't piracy pretty much working around copy protection? You can pirate games successfully in Linux.
                    And yes, I'm well aware that legit players are left stranded, but my point is you are exaggerating both how many games have this problem, and, the permanence of such problems.

Comment

You said "copy protection". Unless that means something I'm not aware of, isn't piracy pretty much working around copy protection? You can pirate games successfully in Linux.
                      And yes, I'm well aware that legit players are left stranded, but my point is you are exaggerating both how many games have this problem, and, the permanence of such problems.
                      I said "some copy protection won't ever work". I'm not sure what has that to do with pirating. I didn't say the GAME will not work, because of course you can crack the game and pirate it and remove the copy protection and then have it work.

The COPY PROTECTION itself won't work so you NEED the crack in this case (btw, I cannot condemn people for using cracks on Linux if it's to get the game working, tho they should have paid for the game obviously). A crack usually removes/bypasses the copy protection, so it gets the game running on Linux / Wine.

Same with anti-cheat, but it's getting increasingly difficult to bypass it there since nowadays you get server-side checks for the anti-cheat, which is hard to emulate/bypass. Bleh.

Comment

Working...
                      X