• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post

i receive only one survey per year,
    i think that every user receive only 1 survey every year
    No , it is not once in a year.

I received my first Linux survey when i switched to Linux nearly 4 years ago.

Got my second survey last month , December 3 2018.

Comment

Having tried Proton and been fairly impressed by it I expected it to move the needle a bit more than this. Let's hope we can break the 1% barrier before Windows 7 hits EOL and people still on it are forced to migrate elsewhere (as we're pretty much bound to hit it after that's happened).

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Having tried Proton and been fairly impressed by it I expected it to move the needle a bit more than this. Let's hope we can break the 1% barrier before Windows 7 hits EOL and people still on it are forced to migrate elsewhere (as we're pretty much bound to hit it after that's happened).
        Us Linux users being impressed with Proton doesn't matter much to average Joe who doesn't even know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          That doesn't mean it won't ever work, that just means it current can't...
          But PUBG and Fortnite is peaked anyway, so gamers will slowly move to something else from now on.
          They may be peaked, but they're still topping sales charts. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people playing just one of these games than there are potential Linux gamers. That's statistically significant.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            That doesn't mean it won't ever work, that just means it current can't...

They may be peaked, but they're still topping sales charts. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people playing just one of these games than there are potential Linux gamers. That's statistically significant.
            No doubt.
            Like dungeon wrote in the first post, Linux might have about 740 000 active Steam users.
            PUBG recently had one million CONCURRENT players online and that's not even close to it's peak of 3.2 million.

Comment

linux can't become popular if their graphics stack is still stuck in the 80's

everything on linux is a pain for gaming, vsync issues, compositor issues, fullscreen issues, gamepad issues

fix linux and stop crying

Comment

Scellow In what alternative universe is that the situation? In this universe, those issues are pretty much non-existent. Maybe you haven't updated your distro since the 90's?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  Wow! I just logged into steam and got a survey for the first time on a huge time!
                  On my old PC (Windows based), I'd go months without using Steam and would get a survey maybe once every 6 months or so. On my new one, Steam auto launches at boot and I've yet to see a survey after 18 months. Maybe its observation bias, but maybe Valve doesn't do the survey as often on people who use the app more?

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                    linux can't become popular if their graphics stack is still stuck in the 80's

everything on linux is a pain for gaming, vsync issues, compositor issues, fullscreen issues, gamepad issues

fix linux and stop crying
                    The problem is it's fragmented to holy hell, and impossible to make a stand alone release where everything just works. Nevermind that it seems every kernel update brakes some software, because the hell with hardware abstraction.

I still hold the lack of a Hardware Abstraction Layer is a major limiting factor for Linux being accepted by the masses; people don't want to deal with random updates breaking software, they don't want to have to 'sudo', and certainly don't want to open a console window and 'do stuff'. Microsoft and Apple figured that out ages ago, and other successful OS's have followed suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                      Like dungeon wrote in the first post, Linux might have about 740 000 active Steam users.
                      That is on a monthly level as they reported 90 million active monthly in whole. While daily is near half that so 47 million are active daily, which means for linux that could go as low as 385K daily or to say 560K weekly...

So, one could freely but safely say that there are a bit more than half a million on average active for sure
                      Last edited by dungeon; 02 January 2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X