Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 3.16-6 Beta Improves Several Windows Games On Linux During Steam's Winter Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Yes sure, everything is the user's fault. Proton is perfect. Please. I'm running a 100% OSS AMD setup (RX580 with ryzen) on latest Arch. The only way to get "better" is to run bleeding edge stuff.

Proton is a slightly better wine at this point. Things break for various reasons and if you look at the officially supported list of games it's pathetic. Basically only 2d stuff and card games.

I did get a few games going but mostly toy stuff like Fallout Shelter and such. Anything a little bit more involved either failed completely or had the performance of an ancient slug (I'm looking at your Mordheim!)
    Are you sure that your setup doesn't have an issue?

I'm playing Witcher 3 via Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
      Anyone figured out how we have to setup IE8 (yes, sorry) into proton?
      You should be able to install that with protontricks:

A simple wrapper that does winetricks things for Proton enabled games, requires Winetricks. - Sirmentio/protontricks

Comment

If a game has no native linux support i still dont buy it. Doesnt matter if its run w/o problems with proton or wine.

Comment

Yes sure, everything is the user's fault. Proton is perfect. Please. I'm running a 100% OSS AMD setup (RX580 with ryzen) on latest Arch. The only way to get "better" is to run bleeding edge stuff.

Proton is a slightly better wine at this point. Things break for various reasons and if you look at the officially supported list of games it's pathetic. Basically only 2d stuff and card games.

I did get a few games going but mostly toy stuff like Fallout Shelter and such. Anything a little bit more involved either failed completely or had the performance of an ancient slug (I'm looking at your Mordheim!)
          Even on my ancient PC most things I've tried worked smoothly. A couple of games needed small fixes to work perfectly and only one (Just Cause 2) didn't work at all. Sounds like you had bad luck with your game selection.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post

Troll account?
            Nope, all my failures have been reported back to ProtonDB. And you know what I found? Usually people with similar specs (as in Mesa version, proton version and GFX card) had same results. I think most fanboys must be using nvidia at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post

In this case, "better" might be something other than "latest Arch". I wouldn't be surprised if the current Ubuntu LTS (or derivatives) worked better with Proton.
              If that's the case (and I'm not saying it's not), why? Are you saying latest stable releases (kernel/drivers etc.) are all bugged and need half a year to be usable? What's the cause here? Arch isn't using latest -dev.git32487324 builds you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Are you sure that your setup doesn't have an issue?

I'm playing Witcher 3 via Proton.
                Mordheim, Fallout New Vegas. If you have those tell me if any work. I tried them ~1 month ago and both were failures, Mordheim started but the map and overall speed was as if I was running it on an intel card.

Comment

Nope, all my failures have been reported back to ProtonDB. And you know what I found? Usually people with similar specs (as in Mesa version, proton version and GFX card) had same results. I think most fanboys must be using nvidia at this point.
                  Yes, I've used Nvidia because the hardware is more power efficient and the driver status has been better, but I hear AMD support is pretty decent these days. I've successfully played several games via Proton. I remember the only issue encountered has been one game (Shadowrun returns) was unable to close itself via the menu.

Comment

Mordheim, Fallout New Vegas. If you have those tell me if any work. I tried them ~1 month ago and both were failures, Mordheim started but the map and overall speed was as if I was running it on an intel card.
                    If fallout new vegas does not work for you then the issue is on your end. It runs without issue for me, and I also use arch, and I have an rx470.

Comment

If that's the case (and I'm not saying it's not), why? Are you saying latest stable releases (kernel/drivers etc.) are all bugged and need half a year to be usable? What's the cause here? Arch isn't using latest -dev.git32487324 builds you know.
                      The greater the distance from what the developers develop and/or test on, the more likely you are to trip over a bug in Proton that they failed to catch or a bug in something else that they overlooked the need to add a workaround for.

Tiny differences can have huge effects if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment

Working...
                      X