Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 3.16-6 Beta Improves Several Windows Games On Linux During Steam's Winter Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ramrod
    replied
    Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Yes sure, everything is the user's fault. Proton is perfect. Please. I'm running a 100% OSS AMD setup (RX580 with ryzen) on latest Arch. The only way to get "better" is to run bleeding edge stuff.

Proton is a slightly better wine at this point. Things break for various reasons and if you look at the officially supported list of games it's pathetic. Basically only 2d stuff and card games.

I did get a few games going but mostly toy stuff like Fallout Shelter and such. Anything a little bit more involved either failed completely or had the performance of an ancient slug (I'm looking at your Mordheim!)
    Troll account?

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post

Because you probably have a botched or unsupported setup
    Yes sure, everything is the user's fault. Proton is perfect. Please. I'm running a 100% OSS AMD setup (RX580 with ryzen) on latest Arch. The only way to get "better" is to run bleeding edge stuff.

Proton is a slightly better wine at this point. Things break for various reasons and if you look at the officially supported list of games it's pathetic. Basically only 2d stuff and card games.

I did get a few games going but mostly toy stuff like Fallout Shelter and such. Anything a little bit more involved either failed completely or had the performance of an ancient slug (I'm looking at your Mordheim!)

Leave a comment:

• ramrod
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Was gonna buy MGSV today but held off due to some of the reports.

Can anyone confirm / update me -- I would be playing via MESA
    I just got the game today, and the Phantom Pain works fine on mesa. I had the issue with the upside down text mentioned on the DB, but that was for some reason caused by steamVR. If you have that installed and have upside down text, uninstall steamVR to fix the issue.

Leave a comment:

• NEOalquimista
    replied
    I was able to run Skyrim on an i3 laptop through Proton. Barely playable due to low FPS, but still impressive.
    Last edited by NEOalquimista; 24 September 2019, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    Anyone figured out how we have to setup IE8 (yes, sorry) into proton?
    My son's 'Raceroom racing experience' need it.

Leave a comment:

• Guy1524
    replied
    Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    Proton has been a huge mess for me. Most of the "not-officially-supported" titles that are even rated gold+ on protonDB have not worked for me. I think the tech needs 1 year or more to mature properly. It's more a hype bubble at this point.
    Because you probably have a botched or unsupported setup

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    Proton has been a huge mess for me. Most of the "not-officially-supported" titles that are even rated gold+ on protonDB have not worked for me. I think the tech needs 1 year or more to mature properly. It's more a hype bubble at this point.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Was gonna buy MGSV today but held off due to some of the reports.

Can anyone confirm / update me -- I would be playing via MESA

Leave a comment:

• Proton 3.16-6 Beta Improves Several Windows Games On Linux During Steam's Winter Sale

Phoronix: Proton 3.16-6 Beta Improves Several Windows Games On Linux During Steam's Winter Sale

Valve has made available a new version of their Wine-based Proton layer that powers Steam Play for allowing many Windows games to run seamlessly on Linux via their Steam client. This new Proton 3.16-6 Beta offers up several notable improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X