Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 3.16-6 Beta Improves Several Windows Games On Linux During Steam's Winter Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    Still I think this needs a year more or so.
    it obviously depends on game. some games work already, some probably never will

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
      Why wouldn't anyone use Nvidia?
      if you are happy with windows gpu driver, why not just use windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post

Why wouldn't anyone use Nvidia?
        Because MESA works much better than proprietary Nvidia drivers. Also MESA is developing very actively and is open source. It is strange for me to admit .... As a supporter of greens. But now red is preferable for Linux. Having looked at the work of proprietary drivers on Windows AMD .... in 2019 I think to reconsider my attitude towards red ...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          nouveau driver status has never been better than radeonsi
          What makes you think I use nouveau for gaming? It's totally unusable.

Comment

it obviously depends on game. some games work already, some probably never will
            I mean more in stability across setups wrt. "supported" games and the list of actually supported games being big enough. Some games won't ever work I agree with that, but those that do should do so consistently and on a wide range of hardware and driver versions. And that will need time and dedication.

You can't expect the current state of Proton to be commercially viable.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              What makes you think I use nouveau for gaming? It's totally unusable.
              i don't care what you use for gaming, linux driver for nvidia hardware is nouveau. you are free to use windows for gaming though

Comment

i don't care what you use for gaming, linux driver for nvidia hardware is nouveau. you are free to use windows for gaming though
                So you've never visited https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx ?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  well, i was never stupid enough to confuse their windows blob wrapped for linux with real linux driver. the one which comes preinstalled with kernel and mesa and which supports linux, not just some nvidia-approved subset of linux. amd and intel have such drivers, for nvidia hardware it is nouveau
                  Last edited by pal666; 29 December 2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

well, i was never stupid enough to confuse their windows blob wrapped for linux with real linux driver. the one which comes preinstalled with kernel and mesa and which supports linux, not just some nvidia-approved subset of linux. amd and intel have such drivers, for nvidia hardware it is nouveau
                    You're obviously trolling. Nouveau hasn't even supported all recent nvidia cards. If you manage to land on the desktop, the perf is abysmal and the drivers crash prone. Have fun with your toenail eater GNU software.

Comment

Working...
                    X