Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1080p Linux Gaming Performance - NVIDIA 415.22 vs. Mesa 19.0-devel RADV/RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutalix
    replied
    Originally posted by clapbr View Post

Not going anywhere, and no Windows partition atm.
    This is the last time I'll ever acknowledge your dumb existence, and I am not the only one who does that Seriously, every post i've ever read from you is useless, annoying and just plain dumb. Go home.
    Well, keep it civil, while debianxfce, does tout his "superior" gaming debian edition, his version does actually work. Tried it and found it to be a better gaming experience than using ubuntu or plain debian testing even when semi tweaking the kernel myself.

i tried the one of my machines which i assume is the closest to your setup, a R5 2600x with Rx480 4 gb. Civ 6, I get some stutter in the beginning, but not i goes away after a 1 min off gaming on the debian testing.

It's always nice to create a video to explain your problem. And if you formulate your questions right, people in here will try to help you. If found both non-amd people and AMD people very forth coming in this forum.

Kind regards
    Brut.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Overall terrible results for everything, sad to have gone with rx580 instead of the 1060/1070. Oh and fuck the open drivers, theyre still crap even when comparing with nvidias blob, except for maybe slightly less bugs on desktop (specially kde). At least with my gtx960 I could use 75hz without resorting to ugly workarounds like locking mclk. It also ran at fewer fps but it didnt have mysterious stutters everywhere. Some games run at high fps's but the constant stutters even with LOTS of available resources (6 cores, 10-15% cpu usage, 30-50% gpu usage, 12gb of free RAM) makes me really annoyed. And I'm talking about native games, not wine.
    Nice Anti-AMD FUD, i doubt you have ever bought an AMD product in your life. Also if you "fuck the open drivers", then why are you on Linux? Use Windows. AMD has far superior Windows driver to Nvidia, try them.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    It's actually nice to know that we really only need midrange gear for decent HD gaming and gone are the days of needing ridiculously expensive gear to play games at 1080p/60. I can't wait for FreeSync support to take advantage of all the extra frames.

Seems like we really only need Vega XX and 1070+ for ultra-wide 1080p and 16:9 1440p; with the 1080/ti being useful for up to 21:9 1440p gaming.

4K...IMHO, just too hard to justify for maybe 60fps even though one has the most expensive stuff on the market.
    What? You must be young. A decade ago you could game 1080p/60fps maxed settings for AAA games with a 200 euro/dollar gpu. These days you need at least double that. GPUs are still ridiculously expensive. Things will only get better once AMD and Intel release gaming APUs that can replace the sub 200 dGPU market.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Well, i played T2 a bit now and only what stuttered here is that video at beginning but when you use plain wine with GL translator, does not happen under nined wine or in linux native T2.

And yeah that HW skinning feature does not work on mesa drivers in all variants (only breaks graphics), was working on FGLRX - so that is maybe something for marek & friends

No idea, could be say HDD related even when it tries to load something, some assets like sound or whatever, so interrupts are slow and you see that as stutter. There is no random related stutter, something must cause it really.
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 04:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

So how one could reproduce that stuttering using Torchlight 2? Do you just move around and is stutter or how?

I tried it now and i only i see that HW skinning is broken on Mesa, that is indeed a bug but that was since i remember
    Usually happens when I'm hitting mobs, but even walking around it does happen. It's also totally random, which makes it even more annoying since I can't reproduce it doing the same steps. It also varies game to game, Dungeons 3 for example gets better after I play it for 5-10m. Albion gets 300+ fps and ocasionally drops to 220 and stutters very briefly, and if turn vsync on the same thing happens, drops briefly from 60 to 54 and stutter.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    the current native torchlight 2 is or was broken, and yeah, using latest nine.
    So how one could reproduce that stuttering using Torchlight 2? Do you just move around and is stutter or how?

I tried it now and i only i see that HW skinning is broken on Mesa (that bug exist on native linux Torchlight 2 variant, so it is indeed a mesa bug), but that was like that since i remember
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 03:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use your windows partition only and forget Linux forums.
    Not going anywhere, and no Windows partition atm.
    This is the last time I'll ever acknowledge your dumb existence, and I am not the only one who does that Seriously, every post i've ever read from you is useless, annoying and just plain dumb. Go home.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    There are many reasons why something might stutter and that cpu frequency scaling could be one of the offenders

On Debian i even recommend ditching it off altogether :temporarely

So, no ondemand or performace, but good bye power saving feature or at least do it temporarely, to see if that is your gaming offender

On already low power Desktops, on low wattage CPUs... one could ditch it altoghter all the time and to be safe anyway
    I've tested even removing it completely from the kernel, I've also upgraded recently from an i5 6400 to a ryzen 2600 and the stutters are the same. Tried Albion and Dungeons 3 on debian and ubuntu and got the same stutters and a bit less fps overall.

Leave a comment:

• clapbr
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

When that kind of game cause stuttering with RX 580 at fullhd, you have a bad OS. Use Debian testing/sid, the AMD wip kernel and the OIbaf ppa Mesa bionic version.
    ffs the same bs again, go home.

Not sure why wine, Torchlight 2 or 1? One i guess, wondering how that stutter for you as it is not particulary demanding Back in 2009. i played that on year 2004. low end Radeon 9250 card

Both are DX9 games (on WINE i mean, T2 have official, while T1 unofficial Linux port using GL of course), so did you tried running these with gallium nine, that do DX9 even more directly than translators
    the current native torchlight 2 is or was broken, and yeah, using latest nine.
    Last edited by clapbr; 17 December 2018, 01:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied

RX580 barely won 1060 in 2 or 3 games, in the others it was around equal OR crushed.
    I don't play anymore any of the games tested, native games I play and stutter: Dungeons 3, Civilization 6, Albion Online.
    Wine games that I play and also stutter: Grim Dawn, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Torchlight.

All of those get good fps but stutter with or without vsync. None of them fully use available resources.
    Not sure why wine, Torchlight 2 or 1? One i guess, wondering how that stutter for you as it is not particulary demanding Back in 2009. i played that on year 2004. low end Radeon 9250 card

Both are DX9 games (on WINE i mean, T2 have official, while T1 unofficial Linux port using GL of course), so did you tried running these with gallium nine, that do DX9 even more directly than translators
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 01:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X