Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1080p Linux Gaming Performance - NVIDIA 415.22 vs. Mesa 19.0-devel RADV/RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by clapbr View Post

Pretty sure it is not a config issue, at least not something simple like cpu governor. My 6 cores (w/ 12 HT) are locked at 4ghz, GPU locked at high state, daily builds for mesa, latest xf86-video, libdrm, kernel. I also have pretty good cooling everywhere, so nor the CPU/GPU are throttling.

I play civ6 on high though, but something consistent in all games that stutter is that reducing quality doesn't change the stuttering in any way. Interestingly it also doesn't show on screen capture, but it is pretty obvious in person. In dxvk games I've switched from radv to a ripped amdvlk-pro from ubuntu package and it usually gets a bit less fps but a lot less stuttering. Worse case is anything gallium-based, in some games glthread helps a bit but it still seems to not use all available hardware resources efficiently, possibly soft bottlenecks.
    Configure xorg.conf to enble tearfree. it's not usually enabled by default and is almot certainly exactly what you are seeing.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by clapbr View Post

there is amdvlk-pro - same as amdvlk but with a closed source shader compiler. If you open the 18.50 amdgpu-pro .deb pkg you will find both vulkan-amdgpu-pro_18.50-708488_amd64 and vulkan-amdgpu_18.50-708488_amd64
    I thought you might have meant that. AFAIK, pieces from pro aren't made to be interchangeable with non-pro variants.

This might be a crazy suggestion, but since you're running fairly up-to-date software (I do have some reservations there), have you considered installing one of the distributions officially supported by amdgpu-pro? If the pro shader compiler helps, maybe the rest of it will too.

As for those reservations -- unless you're running some really new hardware and it's absolutely necessary, you probably don't need daily mesa builds. I have to suggest reverting back to your distro's stable packages and removing any pro components (a complete reinstall probably wouldn't hurt). If you're running an older LTS distro and you're using nightlies to get updates, it might be worth looking into Antergos or Manjaro to get a combination of stability and up-to-date packages.

If you really want to use mesa nightlies, you might try taking a page from the debianxfce playbook and try the AMD testing kernel.

Without hardware and OS specifics, it's kind of hard to help outside of generic suggestions like "delete the shader cache" and "check governors".

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    So use latest software in your whole system.
    No one listen to that, i don't too. All what most people wants and need are fucking drivers, as stable as possible and nothing much else to move on.

Some needs them more often, others not so much - maybe as much as something as much often from git every 10 days is needed (particulary for gamers for new game releases and no one else), other needs them only quarterly, third ones semi-annualy, forth ones are good with just one annualy and so on

So who cares, if you use 30 to 50 driver builds annually or just one Gamers needs them more often, while else are fine with one or two.

You are just pissed when using your old Mesa and kernels.
    Mine kernel is not old, it is latest released one, my mesa is also not old it is latest released one too That is what you are on, if you wanna roll.

See, most rolling people are fine with 4-5 drivers and kernels switches annually as that is what majorly happen and nothing much else Non rolling are fine even with one annually or going further longterm where most linux kernel users are anyway

But if you wanna troll instead to roll releases and not random git-asses , meanwhile you use git just to troll and for nothing else. Neither you are tester nor developer, nothing - just a baby troll
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 08:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied

There are memory holes and unfreed memory objects in your whole system...
    Sell that to someone else, i don't give one single cent to that blah, blah

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    There is no reason to wait bugs travelling down to your older kernels.
    Oh, there are many many reasons to wait, everybody wait . People are not perfect, making errors all the time. But if you are claiming otherwise then we fundamentally disagree

For example, I sold my 6 months old HDMI only monitor when I noticed that the display port gets more attention.
    Cool that your business do well, still that is not for everybody and you are not smart. With army of such ingorants world would go nowhere

There is nothing wrong with HDMI only monitors anyway, that is yet another reason for you to continue your trolling poem
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 07:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    You are absolutely right.
    I am not claiming to absolutely right, your solution is good for somebody - not for everybody

I am not an absolutist, quite the opposite. I think that you are absolute troll, baby troll, who found link on the internet

Mainline kernels do have a partially implemented amdgpu driver, compare the diff column at kernel.org to the AMD wip kernel:
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...-next-4.21-wip
    That is for testers and for these who have nothing else working or have a showstoper bug with released kernels, so might tried it temporarely or so. Certainly it is not for you to copy/paste it all the time, all days along and like that for years

Tell me how much users of that you gained after all this years of trolling, none, zero, zilch... and these who wanna do some testing they know what to do, so please shut up
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cRaZy-bisCuiT
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

What? You must be young. A decade ago you could game 1080p/60fps maxed settings for AAA games with a 200 euro/dollar gpu. These days you need at least double that. GPUs are still ridiculously expensive. Things will only get better once AMD and Intel release gaming APUs that can replace the sub 200 dGPU market.
    Say... what? You can buy a RX 580 8 GB for 160 € now if you're lucky but for sure for less than 200 €. A RX 590 is less than 250 € somtimes. Do you think this is expensive? Yes, if 7 nm kicks in with twice the performance for 250 € that's expensive - but right now it's a good deal.

Leave a comment:

• leonmaxx
    replied
    I too use R9 Fury for gaming, on CentOS 7 (needed for work) with custom built kernel and mesa (latest stable releases) and repackaged Wine from Valve/Proton repository (https://github.com/leonmaxx/wine-proton). I played tons of games, native and windows games via wine, and I had no visible stuttering.

For those who also have to use CentOS 7 for work and wants to have good DE, I also built KDE Plasma 5.12 LTS it's available on COPR: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...s7-kde-plasma/

Leave a comment:

• vein
    replied
    It is kind of funny to read these forums time to time. Everytime I read an article with a benchmark that actually looks good for the AMD drivers, there is someone in the forums screaming about this is not true and there is SO MUCH stuttering! It is almost like Nvidia is paying some trolls to come in to spread FUD and trash AMD and OSS drivers.

This is simply not true. I have been running the R9 Fury for a couple of years now, playing many games on Antergos (Cinnamon DE) and I do not have any noticible stuttering in any games (List: CS GO, TA: Warhammer 1, DOW3, Cities Skylines etc).

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Stutters are normal if shader cache related, but once cached to disk it should fine.

Well, for daily changing drivers versions users i am not sure - maybe users should delete it for time to time, some shit could happen there

People are often not aware of other bugs unrelated to GPU drivers, reminds users of recent EXT4 issues, i even have sound card issue hda-intel, it kind missbehave without power_save off recently and loads with high pitched sound by default for some reason

Yes, your HDD might introduce stutter, even your sound chip/card, sound also eats some resources, etc...

debianxfce is wrong as he is, as he claim one solution for everbody by ignoring everything else If AMD is doing dkms amdgpu rolling driver, so just that driver to use on normal released kernels i could recommend that too, but building RC kernels and to use that all the time is entirely wrong for everybody
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 05:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X