Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1080p Linux Gaming Performance - NVIDIA 415.22 vs. Mesa 19.0-devel RADV/RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Show us Linux benchmarks.
    I don't have that hardware.

If you mean the 4GB comment...4K has larger textures that use up more ram so the 4GB card will perform worse than the 8GB version in certain scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
      Pretty sure it is not a config issue, at least not something simple like cpu governor. My 6 cores (w/ 12 HT) are locked at 4ghz, GPU locked at high state, daily builds for mesa, latest xf86-video, libdrm, kernel. I also have pretty good cooling everywhere, so nor the CPU/GPU are throttling.
      I have 8/16HT power sucking 3.86ghz cores so I have it setup to keep them limited until I need them. Sometimes I forget that when I'm not launching games with Lutris (it's configured to ramp stuff up).

I don't think there is a such thing as amdvlk-pro. There's amdvlk, which is AMD's vulkan implementation and is usually in -git or -bin package, and Mesa's RadV which is the vulkan-radeon package on my system, but those are separate from amdgpu and amdgpu-pro. Are you sure some component from amdvlk-pro is what you have installed?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have 8/16HT power sucking 3.86ghz cores so I have it setup to keep them limited until I need them. Sometimes I forget that when I'm not launching games with Lutris (it's configured to ramp stuff up).

I don't think there is a such thing as amdvlk-pro. There's amdvlk, which is AMD's vulkan implementation and is usually in -git or -bin package, and Mesa's RadV which is the vulkan-radeon package on my system, but those are separate from amdgpu and amdgpu-pro. Are you sure some component from amdvlk-pro is what you have installed?
        there is amdvlk-pro - same as amdvlk but with a closed source shader compiler. If you open the 18.50 amdgpu-pro .deb pkg you will find both vulkan-amdgpu-pro_18.50-708488_amd64 and vulkan-amdgpu_18.50-708488_amd64

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

AMDVLK-PRO is from amd site, while AMDVLK is from github.

Both are AMDVLK, just different and closed source shader compiler on PRO i guess

Comment

RX580 barely won 1060 in 2 or 3 games, in the others it was around equal OR crushed.
            I don't play anymore any of the games tested, native games I play and stutter: Dungeons 3, Civilization 6, Albion Online.
            Wine games that I play and also stutter: Grim Dawn, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Torchlight.

All of those get good fps but stutter with or without vsync. None of them fully use available resources.
            Not sure why wine, Torchlight 2 or 1? One i guess, wondering how that stutter for you as it is not particulary demanding Back in 2009. i played that on year 2004. low end Radeon 9250 card

Both are DX9 games (on WINE i mean, T2 have official, while T1 unofficial Linux port using GL of course), so did you tried running these with gallium nine, that do DX9 even more directly than translators
            Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 01:21 AM.

Comment

When that kind of game cause stuttering with RX 580 at fullhd, you have a bad OS. Use Debian testing/sid, the AMD wip kernel and the OIbaf ppa Mesa bionic version.
              ffs the same bs again, go home.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Not sure why wine, Torchlight 2 or 1? One i guess, wondering how that stutter for you as it is not particulary demanding Back in 2009. i played that on year 2004. low end Radeon 9250 card

Both are DX9 games (on WINE i mean, T2 have official, while T1 unofficial Linux port using GL of course), so did you tried running these with gallium nine, that do DX9 even more directly than translators
              the current native torchlight 2 is or was broken, and yeah, using latest nine.
              Last edited by clapbr; 17 December 2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

There are many reasons why something might stutter and that cpu frequency scaling could be one of the offenders

On Debian i even recommend ditching it off altogether :temporarely

So, no ondemand or performace, but good bye power saving feature or at least do it temporarely, to see if that is your gaming offender

On already low power Desktops, on low wattage CPUs... one could ditch it altoghter all the time and to be safe anyway
                I've tested even removing it completely from the kernel, I've also upgraded recently from an i5 6400 to a ryzen 2600 and the stutters are the same. Tried Albion and Dungeons 3 on debian and ubuntu and got the same stutters and a bit less fps overall.

Comment

Use your windows partition only and forget Linux forums.
                  Not going anywhere, and no Windows partition atm.
                  This is the last time I'll ever acknowledge your dumb existence, and I am not the only one who does that Seriously, every post i've ever read from you is useless, annoying and just plain dumb. Go home.

Comment

the current native torchlight 2 is or was broken, and yeah, using latest nine.
                    So how one could reproduce that stuttering using Torchlight 2? Do you just move around and is stutter or how?

I tried it now and i only i see that HW skinning is broken on Mesa (that bug exist on native linux Torchlight 2 variant, so it is indeed a mesa bug), but that was like that since i remember
                    Last edited by dungeon; 17 December 2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

So how one could reproduce that stuttering using Torchlight 2? Do you just move around and is stutter or how?

I tried it now and i only i see that HW skinning is broken on Mesa, that is indeed a bug but that was since i remember
                      Usually happens when I'm hitting mobs, but even walking around it does happen. It's also totally random, which makes it even more annoying since I can't reproduce it doing the same steps. It also varies game to game, Dungeons 3 for example gets better after I play it for 5-10m. Albion gets 300+ fps and ocasionally drops to 220 and stutters very briefly, and if turn vsync on the same thing happens, drops briefly from 60 to 54 and stutter.

Comment

Working...
                      X