Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1080p Linux Gaming Performance - NVIDIA 415.22 vs. Mesa 19.0-devel RADV/RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
    Overall terrible results for everything, sad to have gone with rx580 instead of the 1060/1070.
    Just curious, which results are you looking at ?

With only a couple of exceptions (F1 2018, Thrones) the 580 was comparable to or faster than the 1060 on games except when frame rates were pushing 200 fps... and as Michael said the results are even a bit better at higher resolutions.

Are you running into bad stuttering on any of the games Michael tested ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 16 December 2018, 08:57 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

For 1080p gaming, the Rx 590 is a real winner. Tied or noticeably ahead of the Gtx 1060 in every game, the Rx 590 is looking like king of the value hill. Based on these results, no sane person would choose a Gtx 1060, especially on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just curious, which results are you looking at ?

With only a couple of exceptions (F1 2018, Thrones) the 580 was comparable to or faster than the 1060 on games except when frame rates were pushing 200 fps... and as Michael said the results are even a bit better at higher resolutions.

Are you running into bad stuttering on any of the games Michael tested ?
        RX580 barely won 1060 in 2 or 3 games, in the others it was around equal OR crushed.
        I don't play anymore any of the games tested, native games I play and stutter: Dungeons 3, Civilization 6, Albion Online.
        Wine games that I play and also stutter: Grim Dawn, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Torchlight.

All of those get good fps but stutter with or without vsync. None of them fully use available resources.

Comment

Anything could do 1080p fine, just depends which app are you running This is from Kabini APU

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

GTX 1070 did cost 800 euros in mindfactory.de in Juni 2018. Now it cost around 400 euros here. My Asus RX570 and Asus 4K monitor did cost 478 euros total recently and I can play many games at 4K with good frame rates. So it depends timing and what you buy if 4K gaming is expensive or not. RX 3080 will make 4K gaming more wallet and quality friendly. It is mind blowing to use a 28" 4K monitor after using 24" fullhd monitors over a decade. The Superposition benchmark at 1080p Extreme setting gives avg. 14 fps, so RX570 almost fast as RX580 and RX590.
            Well, yeah, depending on the game, graphical settings, what frame rate you consider to be acceptable, an 8GB 570 might just cut it for 4K gaming. I'd expect the 4GB version to not perform as well at 4K.

A 570 would certainly cut it as just a desktop card pushing 4K, emulators, older games. All I'm saying is that with newer games at the highest settings aiming for 60fps minimal or 45+ G/FreeSync, we're pretty much stuck with Nvidia X080s for the time being because we know they'll work. Vega's, Polaris, and 10/2070 are all a gamble there since some games are great, some not.

I'm really hoping that next generation AMD cards make 4K more affordable.

Comment

RX580 barely won 1060 in 2 or 3 games, in the others it was around equal OR crushed.
              I don't play anymore any of the games tested, native games I play and stutter: Dungeons 3, Civilization 6, Albion Online.
              Wine games that I play and also stutter: Grim Dawn, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Torchlight.

All of those get good fps but stutter with or without vsync. None of them fully use available resources.
              Out of curiosity, what distribution do you use? My crappy ass R7 260x doesn't stutter with Civilization 6 at 1080p with medium settings with Antergos KDE, dual x5687 Xeons, and crummy 7200rpm hdds...it was a nice budget GPU in it's time, but it's crappy now...

Note that most games on my PC have a bit of stutter if I don't switch to either the performance or ondemand governor so I'm also wondering if it could be that simple. If you have cpupower installed it's as simple as
              Code:
              sudo sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance

Comment

There are many reasons why something might stutter and that cpu frequency scaling could be one of the offenders

On Debian i even recommend ditching it off altogether :temporarely

blacklist acpi_cpufreq
                So, no ondemand or performace, but good bye power saving feature or at least do it temporarely, to see if that is your gaming offender

On already low power Desktops, on low wattage CPUs... one could ditch it altoghter all the time and to be safe anyway
                Last edited by dungeon; 16 December 2018, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Out of curiosity, what distribution do you use? My crappy ass R7 260x doesn't stutter with Civilization 6 at 1080p with medium settings with Antergos KDE, dual x5687 Xeons, and crummy 7200rpm hdds...it was a nice budget GPU in it's time, but it's crappy now...

Note that most games on my PC have a bit of stutter if I don't switch to either the performance or ondemand governor so I'm also wondering if it could be that simple. If you have cpupower installed it's as simple as
                  Code:
                  sudo sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance
                  Pretty sure it is not a config issue, at least not something simple like cpu governor. My 6 cores (w/ 12 HT) are locked at 4ghz, GPU locked at high state, daily builds for mesa, latest xf86-video, libdrm, kernel. I also have pretty good cooling everywhere, so nor the CPU/GPU are throttling.

I play civ6 on high though, but something consistent in all games that stutter is that reducing quality doesn't change the stuttering in any way. Interestingly it also doesn't show on screen capture, but it is pretty obvious in person. In dxvk games I've switched from radv to a ripped amdvlk-pro from ubuntu package and it usually gets a bit less fps but a lot less stuttering. Worse case is anything gallium-based, in some games glthread helps a bit but it still seems to not use all available hardware resources efficiently, possibly soft bottlenecks.

Comment

but something consistent in all games that stutter is that reducing quality doesn't change the stuttering in any way. Interestingly it also doesn't show on screen capture.
                    So how do you think anybody could helps you here?

Maybe, find one simple case and make an video of that stutter or whatever.

Even Playstation could stutter a bit, who knows maybe you hypersensitive to it in a way

IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE use and consult your physician before resuming gameplay. If you or your child experience any of the following health problems or symptoms:
                    • Dizziness
                    • Altered vision
                    • Eye or muscle twitches
                    • Loss of awareness
                    • Disorientation
                    • Seizures or
                    • Any involuntary movement or convulsion

I know many Linux users with simptoms like loss of awareness and disorientations... simply, not everything is for everybody
                    Last edited by dungeon; 16 December 2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Would personally like to start seeing a price to averaged performance ratio chart for these open source amd vs blob nvidia benchmarks. Might help the people deciding on new gpu purchases if the performance hit for an open source driver would be justified for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X