Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unvanquished Open-Source Game Sees Its First Alpha Release In Nearly Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unvanquished Open-Source Game Sees Its First Alpha Release In Nearly Three Years

Phoronix: Unvanquished Open-Source Game Sees Its First Alpha Release In Nearly Three Years

Unvanquished had been easily one of the most promising open-source games several years back with decent in-game visuals/art, a continually improving "Daemon" engine that was a distant mod of ioquake3 while leveraging ETXReaL components and more, and all-around a well-organized, advancing open-source game project. Their monthly alpha releases stopped almost three years ago while today that's changed just ahead of Christmas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately UNVANQUISHED is shaping up to be a continuous work in progress. When development takes this long it risks becoming dated before it it is ever released.
    Last edited by Dr. Righteous; 11 December 2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

You realize you can play it now right?

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
        You realize you can play it now right?
        Indeed yes but an alpha version. An incomplete game.
        I don't want to be critical but there are many pitfalls on the way to a complete game. The longer it take, the larger the pits grow.
        Personally I very much admire developers and programmers like this. I don't have what it takes personally. Life always interferes and dashes my efforts on weighty projects. Such a singular focus I cannot seem to afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Indeed yes but an alpha version. An incomplete game.
          I don't want to be critical but there are many pitfalls on the way to a complete game. The longer it take, the larger the pits grow.
          Personally I very much admire developers and programmers like this. I don't have what it takes personally. Life always interferes and dashes my efforts on weighty projects. Such a singular focus I cannot seem to afford.
          It's not an incomplete game. I played Tremulous for years. The assets are in alpha, the gameplay itself is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

It's not an incomplete game. I played Tremulous for years. The assets are in alpha, the gameplay itself is fine.
            Trumulous's gameplay was fine, but Unvanquished changed a lot of that in the name of 'balance' and 'pacing' which resulted in a less than playable game. Unless that's been fixed--but the devs seemed to be convinced to go their own path.

Comment

Working...
            X