X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Just think, all Valve needed to do was implement a progressive royalty system. 10% up to $100,000, 15% between 100,000 and 1,000,000, 20% for anything above that.

There you go, Valve. A random stoner on Phoronix just solved the problem of losing developers to other platforms.
    It is not a tax, those who sell more have no obligation to pay more. If anything, Valve should put the cost at 10% for everyone. 10% is a lot of money, when you are doing NOTHING other than managing a website with a desktop client.

The reason Valve used to get 30% was because 10 years ago retail stores cost a lot to distribute games, but now that digital distribution is more widespread and there are alternatives there really is no justification. If anything, i believe even a 5% cut should be very lucrative by 2018 standards. Webservers and bandwidth are cheap these days...

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Ugh not another one... Can't they learn from EA and Ubisoft that nobody is asking for this? Epic Games isn't anywhere near as corrupt or out-of-touch as them, but I still suspect this store isn't going to be much of a success. The only reason why this might really work is if Fortnite gets exclusive benefits.
    No one is asking for Steam either, but multiple stores is better than one dominant corrupt one. Getting Valve to open up about their revenue and slices, instead of bullying devs in private would be a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    This has a lot of potential. Fortnite is the most played game in the world right now, and the low royalties are really a nice incentive. If they follow an aggressive sales policy, they might get a nice marketshare.

Sadly, Valve enjoyed a monopoly with fat profit margins for years without really thinking about the future. They stopped making quality games, they stopped really improving their engines, and they kept fleecing their clients. As a result, alternatives became viable...

I suppose this explains why Valve cut down on their royalties recently...

I am sorry Valve, i really want you to succeed, for the benefit of Linux, but your greed was too much...

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

I believe that the fact that you only pay half the price, compared to Valve, will be very interesting for most game creators.
    Yes, that all that counts. I hope Valve is able to react since they are the one who are interesting in promoting Linux as a platform.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

I believe that the fact that you only pay half the price, compared to Valve, will be very interesting for most game creators.
    Just think, all Valve needed to do was implement a progressive royalty system. 10% up to $100,000, 15% between 100,000 and 1,000,000, 20% for anything above that.

There you go, Valve. A random stoner on Phoronix just solved the problem of losing developers to other platforms.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Ugh not another one... Can't they learn from EA and Ubisoft that nobody is asking for this? Epic Games isn't anywhere near as corrupt or out-of-touch as them, but I still suspect this store isn't going to be much of a success. The only reason why this might really work is if Fortnite gets exclusive benefits.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Epic Games Officially Rolls Out Their Own Game Store Alternative To Steam

Phoronix: Epic Games Officially Rolls Out Their Own Game Store Alternative To Steam

After weeks of rumors, Epic Games today officially announced the Epic Games Store as their own electronic game store alternative to Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X