Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Hit 0.80% During November

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Hit 0.80% During November

Valve has published their latest monthly Steam survey data, which shows an increase in the Linux gaming population...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So basically we are around 10million linux steam users? At least that number seems legit and not millions of ghost accounts....

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      So basically we are around 10million linux steam users? At least that number seems legit and not millions of ghost accounts....
      How do you get to 10 million Linux users? If there are ~125+ million active Steam users overall, we're talking like 1~2 million.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

An interesting trend looking at the numbers is how AMD is starting to pickup on the CPU front and take numbers from Intel.

I also noticed that some Linux Steam, and only Linux Steam, user is using a 32 core CPU to play games. I just chuckled and figured it almost has to be a Phoronix user.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

How do you get to 10 million Linux users? If there are ~125+ million active Steam users overall, we're talking like 1~2 million.
          By not moving the decimal over enough.

Comment

give me my survey reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

So, with Steam proton, I can play Metal Gear solid V the phantom pain, but not Metal Gear solid V ground zero. That being said, I've used steam with Windows for maybe five years, and got a single survey. Used steam with linux for about a year, and got two surveys. So I don't believe the steam surveys are biased.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I also noticed that some Linux Steam, and only Linux Steam, user is using a 32 core CPU to play games. I just chuckled and figured it almost has to be a Phoronix user.
                I think it just means that a higher percentage of Linux users have more CPUs.. aka <0.00 Windows have 32 cores, but that still could be 1000s of users. This also tracks because there are some CPU values at 0 only on the Windows report such as 28.

Linux
                4 cpus 47.52% -1.13%
                6 cpus 8.41% +0.49%
                8 cpus 7.25% +0.07%
                16 cpus 0.45% +0.03%
                20 cpus 0.03% +0.03%
                22 cpus 0.01% +0.01%
                32 cpus 0.02% +0.02%

Windows
                4 cpus 58.45% +1.41%
                6 cpus 9.13% +1.09%
                8 cpus 1.45% +0.29%
                16 cpus 0.04% 0.00%
                20 cpus 0.00% 0.00%
                22 cpus 0.00% 0.00%
                28 cpus 0.00% 0.00%
                32 cpus 0.00% 0.00%

Comment

From what I recall, it's something like 40k surveys that are sent out. Although Steam has ~125 million accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them are mostly inactive (whether that means the users rarely sign on, never sign on anymore, or only own like 1 or 2 games and are statistically uninteresting). So, it's a little difficult to know exactly how many people, regardless of OS, are actually online.
                  What we do know is of the 40k people who got the survey, 320 of them were Linux users.

I think it would really be in Valve's interest to try getting PUBG working, and to better optimize GTA5. I wouldn't be surprised if either one of those games would get Linux well past 1% marketshare.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

LoL not sleeping enough for past weeks may explain it, I did 125000000 * 0.08 instead of 0.008, but with all the people that complains about the survey not showing up (my self included) we may be much more than the reported numbers, maybe 0.0099

Comment

Working...
                    X