Valve Releases Artifact As Its Cross-Platform, Vulkan-Powered Digital Card Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core i5 CPU or better, 4GB of RAM, and a Vulkan graphics processor
    What's the point of making a card game if it cannot run on crappy old laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
      What's the point of making a card game?
      FTFY

Comment

game is poorly optimized for linux atm, its so sad I might return it. stuttering and fps drops in a card game on a ryzen 2600, rx580 8gb, 16gb ram is unnaceptable

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
          game is poorly optimized for linux atm, its so sad I might return it. stuttering and fps drops in a card game on a ryzen 2600, rx580 8gb, 16gb ram is unnaceptable
          I hope you didn't drop a tear when writing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post

I hope you didn't drop a tear when writing this.
            ah come on, the pun is killing me

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
              It costs $20 plus a copious amount of booster packs (packs with virtual cards) and/or for every draft mode you play $1 for every draft game (lasts for until you either win 5 or lose 2 - you get refunded if you get 3 wins). So the $20 up front a the smallest cost of the game by far.
              Thanks for the heads up. I'm not gonna waste my time and money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                What's the point of making a card game if it cannot run on crappy old laptops?
                You seriously don't know how card games work right?

This thing will require hundreds of $$$ expenditure in in-game stuff (cards mostly) to be anything remotely competitive on multiplayer.

They will have the money to upgrade their hardware too.

Comment

The predatory business model which no doubt exploits those with a gambling addiction is a big turn off for me. No way I'm playing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

FTFY
                    :P Tens of millions or hundreds of millions of dollars in Magic: The Gathering revenue seem to indicate that many people disagree with you.

I've never played M:tG, Hearthstone, or anything similar. But I have a few deck-based fantasy games with physical cards at home that are fun.

(Edit: But if this particular game is 'pay to not suck', then I am not interested.)

Comment

I thought artifacts and dinosaurs went hand in hand.

Hearthstone has set the bar. It showed that visual effects are important for both players and people watching (streaming/e-sports). Valve wants Artifact to rival or beat Hearthstone, something that M:tG online and Gwent have not been able to accomplish. Artifact looks like it has high texture quality, but lacks in the 2D artist department ATM.

Artifact is developed using Source 2 engine, hence I assume Valve needs to optimize the new parts that were added during development of this game and not the entire engine. PlayRust is the best example up to date where requirements outweighs overall visual quality, not all bad for PlayRust though as it has some of the best 3D sound and global lighting effects I have seen. It looks like Artifact does much better in this regard (requirements/visual-quality).

Is this the first game using Source 2 that supports Android or iOS?

I like card games, but stopped playing M:tG and Hearthstone due to the upkeep and lack of local popularity.

Comment

Working...
                      X