• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icculus View Post
    Rune wasn't enough?
    I had completely forgotten about Rune! *doh*
    The Prey client for Linux isn't any sort of marketing research. It was purely a volunteer thing.
    A huge thank you for doing it.

Originally posted by skkayman
    As I said, for me, it costs the same here in Slovakia.. 15$ on tuxgames.com is ~350sk (slovak krown), local shop with windows release has price 300Sk. ?5 from amazon is 200Sk - that's two beers difference (and amazon won't sell anything than books, movies and music to Slovakia..).

and why even if it costs more? to show that linux games are wanted! the big CEO's and managers of hug companies do not look at these forums and counting how many linux users buy windows version of their game to use with linux binary. They just look at how many linux boxes was sold? And that's the problem..
    We have to buy linux games if we want more of them
    It appears that the price displayed when you use pounds as your currency is different to when you use the dollar, slightly over double the price. I'll drop tuxgames an email pointing out the discrepancy later on today.

Originally posted by xav1r
    Actually, i read about a console game that uses id tech 4 (doom3 engine):

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. However, im finding contradictory information in the web. Some sites say it used id tech 4, others say that the Wii is incapable of processing the idtech 4 engine. Go figure.
    I didn't think iD-tech 4 engine worked on the Wii. As for the game I don't think there is much information on the graphic's engine used, at least I couldn't find concrete but then agian I didn't look all that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      It appears that the price displayed when you use pounds as your currency is different to when you use the dollar, slightly over double the price. I'll drop tuxgames an email pointing out the discrepancy later on today.
      uhoh, I see it now, when I change currency.. They have very weird conversion rate O_o
      I payed for X3 and Prey and they took 65+15$ from card so, look at prices with US Dollars currency at tuxgames - it is the real one

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
        But shouldn't Prey read the Xinerama info in order to know how to build its display, and, if it finds that there's more than one, provide options compatible with that. I would've thought it should be able to open a GL window with the full screen dimensions of one of the displays and constrain input to it.
        /me sighs...

Xinerama is a 2D/X11 spec. It doesn't feed info to the GL layers, which is where you're getting confused as to why it doesn't work the way you envision it working- if you do a bit of digging on the DRI site, you'll find that it's largely not implemented in their space and it's hit or miss with the commercial stuff. (There's a reason why I don't do dual head setups and haven't since I quit working for the securities trading software company I worked for ages ago. I encountered the same problems and got the same answers with no good fixes- because there isn't any...at least not for some time yet to come.).

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
          I didn't think iD-tech 4 engine worked on the Wii. As for the game I don't think there is much information on the graphic's engine used, at least I couldn't find concrete but then agian I didn't look all that hard.
          It, in theory, could. Main reason people say it "can't" is because Wii doesn't do stencil-buffer on the GPU chip, which precludes doing things without some alterations to the engine in the form of using lightmaps and so forth. Doing that, though, would spoil some of the ambiance of games like Doom3.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            /me sighs...

Xinerama is a 2D/X11 spec. It doesn't feed info to the GL layers, which is where you're getting confused as to why it doesn't work the way you envision it working- if you do a bit of digging on the DRI site, you'll find that it's largely not implemented in their space and it's hit or miss with the commercial stuff. (There's a reason why I don't do dual head setups and haven't since I quit working for the securities trading software company I worked for ages ago. I encountered the same problems and got the same answers with no good fixes- because there isn't any...at least not for some time yet to come.).
            I've never used dual screens or tried using multiple Xservers but could you not start the game in a second x session using a different configuration file with only one screen?

edit:
            I was thinking something along the lines of
            Code:
            X -xinerama :1.0 && /path/to/game/binary -display :1.0
            then switching to the new xserver.
            Last edited by Aradreth; 09 December 2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Rune wasn't enough?
              I honestly wish we had a new spin of that port available for download from something like Gamersgate or GoG. I got to play the betas for it and wished I'd had budget then to have bought it.

The Prey client for Linux isn't any sort of marketing research. It was purely a volunteer thing. It neither encourages nor impedes the chances of seeing a Linux version of Prey 2.
              Heh... I'd figured it was. Any banter I'd put forth that might have sounded that way was clearly framed as..."not likely, but you never know..." type discussion. Thanks for clearing it up, Ryan.

By the by... Thanks for the effort. It's greatly appreciated by all.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                /me sighs...

Yes but according to the glX docs you can set up your gl context in a few ways and from what I see its not impossible to create a display that's compatible with a multi head setup the way I described. Looks like I'll need to cut some code to test what I've read though.

Comment

For those of you with the steam version give this a read.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
                    a benchmark between the wine emulation (which runs quite well) and this native client would be quite interesting!
                    I just ran through a timedemo (which you can download here if you want) with both the native version and the windows version running in wine, and then with Windows. 1280*1024 resolution, everything cranked except antialiasing which was only at 2x.

Wine: 66.8 fps
                    Linux Native: 81.2 fps
                    Windows: 84.1 fps

Yay! Timedemos are of course pretty much only about the GPU, but at least that aspect is faster with the native version than with wine Almost up to the windows version too.

Running the linux and wine clients I got some pretty bad hitching when he first looks in the mirror (split second pauses, this is bad compared to the rest) that I didn't notice in windows. But it's no slouch.
                    Last edited by MamiyaOtaru; 12 December 2008, 08:16 AM.

Comment

does anyone see any servers in multiplayer?

Comment

Working...
                      X