Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SteamOS/Linux Requirements For Valve's Artifact Is Just A Vulkan Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS/Linux Requirements For Valve's Artifact Is Just A Vulkan Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU

Phoronix: SteamOS/Linux Requirements For Valve's Artifact Is Just A Vulkan Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU

With just two weeks to go until Valve unleashes their latest original game, Artifact, it's now up for pre-order and there are also the system requirements published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will it run on Haswell GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post
      Will it run on Haswell GPUs?
      Probably not since the Haswell Vulkan support is in poor shape; is it even working these days? And that is pre HD Graphics 520 as shown on Windows/Mac requirements.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Probably not since the Haswell Vulkan support is in poor shape; is it even working these days? And that is pre HD Graphics 520 as shown on Windows/Mac requirements.
        Idunno, I had a reasonable experience with Haswell ANV ~1 year ago, it certainly supports enough for a game like this (which I'm guessing is one of those fullscreen PC card games) unless it has regressed.

Comment

I thought GCN 1.0 card required enabling some kernel parameters to enable AMDGPU and RADV

Comment

Originally posted by adelpozoman View Post
            I thought GCN 1.0 card required enabling some kernel parameters to enable AMDGPU and RADV
            Presumably included in the vulkan capable part is that you have it set up that way.

Comment

Originally posted by adelpozoman View Post
              Yes basically you have to enable the amdgpu kernel driver (instead of radeon) and have a recent enough userspace (mesa, libdrm, xorg).
              This however is unsupported and will uncover a whole new series of bugs, i.e. my Kaveri laptop hangs on suspend with the amdgpu driver.

Comment

As far as I saw AMDGPU is still labeled "experimental" for iirc. GCN 1.1 and 1.0. Of course, even Kabini can run Vulkan, but I guess that game wouldn't have stellar performance there. Anyway, it's nice to see that someone just finally says: You just need a working Vulkan (or OpenGL x.y) implementation. This is what standards are for.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Vulkan on haswell works great, at least for my use cases. MPV, Retroarch, PPSSPP, Dolphin. I don't know how well it works with native linux steam games. I do know Grandia II Anniversary edition works with dxvk. Haswell has a decent gpu, well at least the Iris Pro is decent. It's just sad that it is consider ancient now and no longer truly supported.

Comment

I think this will be the first new game launch where the application targets Vulkan across 3 platforms in some form.. Native Vulkan on windows and Linux, and MoltenVK on mac OSX.

Comment

Working...
                    X