Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.21 Released, Linux Now Defaults To Vulkan

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.21 Released, Linux Now Defaults To Vulkan

Unreal Engine 4.21 is out today as the last feature release for Epic Games' engine of 2018. This is an exciting game engine update for Linux and Vulkan fans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean it's finally fully supporting the 'desktop' class graphics features? Every UE4 game so far has treated Vulkan like mobile graphics settings.

Comment

Better late than never... I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
        Does this mean it's finally fully supporting the 'desktop' class graphics features? Every UE4 game so far has treated Vulkan like mobile graphics settings.
        Not yet, at least according to this: https://trello.com/c/lzLwtb5P/124-vu...r-pc-and-linux
        It's listed under "future releases".

Comment

Meh. UE, or Unity aren't *that* interesting in a Linux environment. UE and Unity aren't, in my experience, easily customizable.
          In Linux, if you feel like tinkering then you should be able to do that.
          With U(E)/nity you start it up, and then it becomes boring super fast and you wind up perusing tutorials hoping that you'll find some inspiriation, and you never do

Comment

If only it defaulted to Vulkan on Windows as well. That would be awesome news.

Comment

As great as this sounds, if Epic were really invested in Linux they'd be shipping Fortnite. I'm not interested in playing it, but it would be fantastic proof of the real value they place on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                As great as this sounds, if Epic were really invested in Linux they'd be shipping Fortnite. I'm not interested in playing it, but it would be fantastic proof of the real value they place on Linux.
                It'd also help them get more data for bug reports.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                  Meh. UE, or Unity aren't *that* interesting in a Linux environment. UE and Unity aren't, in my experience, easily customizable.
                  With U(E)/nity you start it up, and then it becomes boring super fast and you wind up perusing tutorials hoping that you'll find some inspiriation, and you never do
                  Good thing there's Godot. In 30 seconds I had a scene up with Working VR on my PSVR headset. I just want some good tutorials on building a cockpit and animating enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                    So uhh, what part of that is specific to Linux(at least you seem to imply that UE or Unity are better on other Windows/macOS). Tutorials are meant to show you how to do something, you learn how to do a bunch of it and anything engine specific and then combine that knowledge to make something that you're inspired to do, tutorials aren't often inspiring and that isn't their focus?(has this been the case for you in the past?)

Often even if you can add in all the functionality, you might be lacking the eye candy to enjoy it(or for others to), luckily these days so much is made available for free without having to pay for premium content or even figure out that other side yourself as well.

What alternatives on Linux are better, or you're not actually comparing them to anything else...?

Comment

Working...
                    X