Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16-Way Graphics Card Comparison With Valve's Steam Play For Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16-Way Graphics Card Comparison With Valve's Steam Play For Windows Games On Linux

Phoronix: 16-Way Graphics Card Comparison With Valve's Steam Play For Windows Games On Linux

While Steam Play is still of beta quality on Linux for running Windows games on Linux using their Wine-based Proton compatibility layer, Steam Play has been fast maturing since it was rolled out to the public in late August. The game list continues growing and with regular updates to Steam Play / Proton / DXVK (Direct3D 10/11 over Vulkan), more games are going online for running on Linux and doing so with decent performance and correct rendering. Given the most recent Steam Play beta update vastly improving the experience in our tests, here are the first of our Steam Play Proton benchmarks with Ubuntu Linux and using sixteen different NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo in the F1 benchmark....

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Ulta High Quality
    (in the 1440p graph)

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Batman: Arham Origins at 1440p on Linux
    Also, easily run with ease? Haha

I do want to see a "reference" Windows result. Otherwise how are we going to know where DXVK is at?
    Last edited by tildearrow; 06 November 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Windows vs. Steam Play benchmarks would be great.
      Rob
      email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
        Are you hiding something? Why not compare results with windows? It's not the first time, even though there were promised wine vs windows benchmarks in the past and that PTS works now on windows. That's a clear bias
        I did run some Wine vs. windows tests before. It's all a matter of time justified. I didn't go for a second round of Wine tests as didn't get enough new subscribers or tips to warrant doing more for some months.... Same here with not keeping Windows installs around, setting up Windows on this box will take a few hours, verifying things, etc. In ad revenue alone isn't worthwhile due to all the ad-blockers, so waiting until tips/subscribers make sense.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I understand people want Windows benchmarks as reference, but this is a good start and it shows that Proton is very much capable of putting out more than playable frame-rates in modern games.

Personally I've already spent hundreds of hours playing the Dark Souls series and it's an amazing experience that I would have never had if it wasn't for Proton.

Comment

What I think would be an especially interesting test is a few games that have a Linux native port, tested against Proton, and tested against the Windows version (on Windows). Obviously, these should be games that use different engines. Could be interesting to see if there may be moments where the native Linux port is slower than Proton.

Comment

60% alcohol syndrome once again

5,297 games reported
              2,805 games work
              So ~53% but OK it could improve in the following years, by progression/regression methodology
              Last edited by dungeon; 06 November 2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                60% alcohol syndrome once again

So ~53% but OK it could improve in the following years, by progression/regression methodology
                From what I see, a lot of games are broken due to .net issues (launcher mostly, by the way), or anti-cheat programs. And while there is progress on the .net front, I am not so hopeful about the second part. The best bet might actually be games themselves getting burned by future changes inside Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  From what I see, a lot of games are broken due to .net issues (launcher mostly, by the way), or anti-cheat programs. And while there is progress on the .net front, I am not so hopeful about the second part. The best bet might actually be games themselves getting burned by future changes inside Windows.
                  It's also worth pointing out that a lot of reports were only based on the first version of Proton. About 4 or so of the games in my library started working after the first version, so these updates do make a pretty big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    The best bet might actually be games themselves getting burned by future changes inside Windows.
                    Of course and by changing of WIndows itself and then all this will end up like 'Play on Linux' with people picking/switching versions or whatever

Comment

Working...
                    X