Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16-Way Graphics Card Comparison With Valve's Steam Play For Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be great if you can include low end GPU like 1050 TI

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

That could be interesting, but as far as I know, Steam currently doesn't have any means to run a game which has a native port through Proton. One would have to use Wine instead, but Wine is not exactly Proton even though it's related.
      you can install proton without steam. So basically install steam in proton and run it that way,

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

you can install proton without steam. So basically install steam in proton and run it that way,
        Right, that might work

Comment

I cannot comment on the AMD GPU driver due to lack of familiarity, but I would like to point out that the correct Nvidia driver to use for pre-RTX cards is 396.54.09. It is the current Vulkan beta driver and it has a performance optimization explicitly for DXVK that is supposed to raise performance between 10% and 20%. That means that anyone looking back on these benchmarks a month or two in the future when the changes have been integrated into the main Nvidia driver would not see numbers representative of what hardware will do.

Also, if you run these benchmarks on Windows, include benchmarks using DXVK on Windows in addition to benchmarks using Windows’ native implementation and be certain to use the Windows Vulkan beta driver. It would provide a fairer comparison while being more interesting. You might find that DXVK on Windows can outperform the native direct3d implementation stack in certain situations on certain graphics cards. At least, the DXVK developer reportedly discovered that during his testing on an AMD Polaris GPU in the past. The drivers could have changed to be less bad on the direct3d side such that you would not see that now, but if you do, it would be a very interesting result.

To use DXVK on Windows, you should drop the DLLs into the application program directory and most games will use it. Those that don’t will not be able to use it on Windows. You can tell if it is in use by setting the DXVK_HUD environment variable on Windows so that DXVK will report when it is in use.

It would not hurt to include Linux benchmarks of wined3d being used in Steam play in addition to those configurations. I have observed wined3d outperforming DXVK on Intel haswell graphics by about 30% in Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. Results where wined3d scores any sort of performance win would be interesting in that it is something that might yield performance improvements if given to the driver developers for analysis. That case of wined3d outperforming DXVK in Rise of Nations: Extended Edition on Intel graphics is one that I will probably send to Intel in the near future. I need to run some tests on the latest mesa version before I ping the Intel vulkan developers about that finding.
          Last edited by ryao; 11-08-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post

All of them are DX9 games. You get the DXVK performance boost on DX10 (don't quote me on that one) and DX11. A couple of weeks back, the DXVK developer had AC: Odyssey running at 88% performance. From what I've gathered, the realistic top performance is 90% of Windows. Which is not bad - there is always going to be some overhead.
            He had it up to 90% of Windows performance the next day. On Windows itself, he had DXVK doing 96% of the performance of the Microsoft direct3d implementation. This was on AMD Polaris.

Also, you are correct about D3D10 support. DXVK has had D3D10 support for a couple months now.
            Last edited by ryao; 11-08-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X