Valve's Latest Steam Play Proton Beta Offers Up Useful Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

You have different library names and different dx10 hacks you have to support. Do notice how many direct x libraries have a extra version number on them.

Dxvk started with DX11 library interfaces. They have added dx10 and a developer is looking to see if they can add dx9 as well.
    DXVK (which now contains DXUP) treats DX10 as if it were DX11, it just maps the DX10 functions to the DX11 version and normally they are close enough that it works. DX9 is a different ball game and after discussion the developers have agreed not to try and support it.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
      Almost no game uses DX10 in comparison to DX11 so it makes sense to go for DX11 first?
      I agree with that, but my point is more "how do you get DX11 compatibility and totally skip over 10". And the reason I ask this is because I have at least 1 DX10 game that doesn't work because it is only DX10.
      Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      Interesting... I may need to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
        Is there a newer game compatibility list than the one they showed at launch? I've been unable to find it.
        The only source for the official list I see is here:

But https://www.protondb.com/ works if you want unofficial compatibility, similar to winehq.
        Last edited by Mystro256; 01 November 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Proton just doesn't work for me. I didn't find a single game that works fine with it. Didn't try any of the "officially supported" since they're mostly ancient dos games or card games.

I tried 3 different games that have gold+ on protonDB and none of them worked. The farthest I got was with No Man's Sky. The menu worked fine, game was unplayable (white screen of not-refreshing). This with latest Arch using all AMD machine with RX580.

Maybe the AMD driver situation is still bogus, but native stuff seems to work fine so no idea where the issue is. Tried both "stable" and latest beta proton settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
            Proton just doesn't work for me. I didn't find a single game that works fine with it. Didn't try any of the "officially supported" since they're mostly ancient dos games or card games.

I tried 3 different games that have gold+ on protonDB and none of them worked. The farthest I got was with No Man's Sky. The menu worked fine, game was unplayable (white screen of not-refreshing). This with latest Arch using all AMD machine with RX580.

Maybe the AMD driver situation is still bogus, but native stuff seems to work fine so no idea where the issue is. Tried both "stable" and latest beta proton settings.
            I use an AMD Raven (Ryzen 2400g) and it seems to work fine for me on Fedora 28. Granted, I don't think I have any Vulkan/DX10/11 games, so I can't confirm if that's functioning. Most of my games are DX9, OpenGL, or non 3D.

I would try to confirm if Vulkan works, as Proton uses it for DX10/11 games. If your system has issues with Vulkan, you can disable it by tweaking with the game launch options (See README: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...config-options), but expect it to be slower without Vulkan.

Gold usually means it works with issues or workarounds. Unless it's officially whitelisted, or considered platinium, I wouldn't expect it to work without tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

The only source for the official list I see is here:

But https://www.protondb.com/ works if you want unofficial compatibility, similar to winehq.
              Thanks, the official list is what I was interested it. I want something where I can complain if it doesn't work.

Comment

I'm using Arch with radeonsi+amdgpu+radv and so far only about 7 or so of my Windows games don't work in Proton (one of which can work with winetricks, I just never got around to it) and of those games, they're all rated "borked". You may have a configuration issue, because the drivers and distro certainly aren't the problem.

Comment

Verify and test that you also have 32 bit libs like mesa and vulkan working since lots of windows games are 32 bit executables.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I'm using Arch with radeonsi+amdgpu+radv and so far only about 7 or so of my Windows games don't work in Proton (one of which can work with winetricks, I just never got around to it) and of those games, they're all rated "borked". You may have a configuration issue, because the drivers and distro certainly aren't the problem.
                    If you can try No Man's Sky (btw other mesa users report it being broken there atm.) and Morheim City of the Damned? Both are gold+ neither is playable.

I have 32bit libs and as I said native stuff (which is also 99% 32bit) works fine. I think Proton is simply not there yet (tm) although it seem at least with No Man's Sky it's a Mesa issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X