Valve's Latest Steam Play Proton Beta Offers Up Useful Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Wow, they are making some pretty fast progress here.
    I'm sure it's a very low priority, but I hope they get DX10 and proper surround sound working soon. It's a bit confusing, since there is working DX11 support, and I don't really understand how you can skip DX10 compatibility.
    Almost no game uses DX10 in comparison to DX11 so it makes sense to go for DX11 first?

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
      Is there a newer game compatibility list than the one they showed at launch? I've been unable to find it.
      You can find out which games are compatible on https://www.protondb.com/.

It started out as a simple Google spreadsheet that was posted on reddit, which allowed users to post their experiences (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...sle=true#gid=0).

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
        I'm making games. Just out of curiosity - what do you mean by "output useful performance metrics"? How do you imagine the most helpful way to do that?
        The simplest I guess would be emitting to an external log file information about each frame, namely the frame Id itself and a high resolution timestamp for when it was pushed to the display, or perhaps when it left program control (handed over to the GPU drivers).
        From that the tester can calculate things like minimum and average framerates, frametimes and other such data.

Comment

Is there a newer game compatibility list than the one they showed at launch? I've been unable to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Is it possible to re-implement some of the NVIDIA-specific libraries? This would also give games a possible performance boost under AMD cards.
            To my knowledge, it is just about a small library that adds a few functions to d3d9 with fewer contraints that the d3d9 ones.
            It shouldn't increase speed to implement them.

However there is one useful function which is implemented by AMD by a d3d9 hack: RESZ. This is used for example for Skyrim underwater. On NVidia it will try use the library, and on AMD it will check RESZ support. Thus to have underwater work everywhere with wine, since the library is not implemented, one has to have the game use RESZ by faking AMD.

Comment

I'm sure it's a very low priority, but I hope they get DX10 and proper surround sound working soon. It's a bit confusing, since there is working DX11 support, and I don't really understand how you can skip DX10 compatibility.
              Yeah. DirectX 12 I could understand, since Direct3D 12 adds the DirectX equivalent of Vulkan, but Wikipedia goes so far as to say "Direct3D 11 is a strict superset of Direct3D 10.1"

Comment

DXVK supports DX10 https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk.

Comment

Yeah they recently launched a website for that, you can find it here https://www.protondb.com/explore

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Yeah. DirectX 12 I could understand, since Direct3D 12 adds the DirectX equivalent of Vulkan, but Wikipedia goes so far as to say "Direct3D 11 is a strict superset of Direct3D 10.1"
                    You have different library names and different dx10 hacks you have to support. Do notice how many direct x libraries have a extra version number on them.

Dxvk started with DX11 library interfaces. They have added dx10 and a developer is looking to see if they can add dx9 as well.

Comment

I have been using https://www.protondb.com/.

Still waiting for the team to fix the issue where games that require either wine-mono or dotnet40(or above) winetricks work properly. Looks like some progress is going on but I'm still unable to get games like Final Fantasy XIII to install.

Comment

Working...
                      X