Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 3.7 Updated, More RADV Fixes To Help Steam Play Gaming

Phoronix: Proton 3.7 Updated, More RADV Fixes To Help Steam Play Gaming

Overnight Valve promoted their Proton 3.7-7 build with better alt-tab handling and full-screen behavior for many games. There is also fixed mouse behavior and DXVK 0.80 is now used for the Direct3D-11-over-Vulkan translation to yield better Steam Play gaming performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course, the easiest way to enjoy the latest Windows gaming experience on Linux is simply by running the latest beta builds of the Steam client with Steam Play.
    It doesn't need the Steam beta client, at all.

Comment

I really hope that they bump the Wine version in proton soon, that's the only thing that's holding my favorite games back and still have to manage my own wineprefixes.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigone View Post
        It doesn't need the Steam beta client, at all.
        Nobody's packaged it nicely for outside-of-Steam use yet.
        Waiting for the PlayOnLinux guys to get on that.
        Or at least to have someone make a PPA - I'm so done with the days of figuring out someone else's cockamamie build scripts and dependencies. Looking at the repo it's clearly build by and for Steam devs only.

Comment

I think he ment we don't need Steam *beta*.
          Btw I'm using proton outside Steam for a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
            I think he ment we don't need Steam *beta*.
            Btw I'm using proton outside Steam for a game.
            Exactly. I was directly referencing what Phoronix said. You don't need to opt into the Steam beta, it's been in the main client for a while.

Comment

Does Proton only work for games or also for apps? 'Cause I have one app that works perfectly under Wine (and has done so for the past 10 years, with every new released version of said software), but I'm always looking to get a bit more performance out of it. So could I use Proton for that?

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode
                Aka "I'm tired of using this brand-new thing outside of what it's devs made it for in a manner that isn't point-click. Fix it."
                If you feel so strongly about it, why not do something yourself?
                Because the devs have given me a wonderful way of running it that is point-click, it's called just using the Steam client.
                I was critiquing gutigone's idea that it was trivial to use it without the Steam client.

Comment

It would be excellent and very relevant if Bluestacks (of similar Android app players like Nox, MEmu, KoPlayer...) could run on Proton. The last 10 or 20 or 30 or whatever times I booted Windows was because I had to use Android apps on a desktop.
                  Android has more than 3 million and 3 hundred thousand apps in Google Play up to date, we really should be able to use this on Linux. Proton could probably solve this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
                    I'm so done with the days of figuring out someone else's cockamamie build scripts and dependencies. Looking at the repo it's clearly build by and for Steam devs only.
                    steam is exactly tool for people like you, you click and game runs

Comment

Working...
                    X