Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vRt Aims To Be A Unified Vulkan Ray-Tracing Library

Phoronix: vRt Aims To Be A Unified Vulkan Ray-Tracing Library

Even if you don't have a new NVIDIA RTX graphics card, the open-source vRt project aims to offer Vulkan-based ray-tracing for modern graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do I understand correctly that this library can be then taken by other non-Nvidia Vulkan implementations and provide it as their VK_NVX_RAYTRACING implementation?

Comment

Goodbye nVidia - not from my perspective, I said Bye Bye to them ages ago. But now when 7 nm AMD launches nVidia will be stuck with HighEnd only - medium to low-highend cards will be cheaper from AMD and faster and more efficient while providing a copletely (aka except for firmware blobs) open stack.
      Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 11 October 2018, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        for high performance at 10Mrays/r on RX Vega 64 class
        The README says 100 Mrays/s

Comment

yes readme.md -> Can reach 100Mrays/s in top GPU's (tested RX Vega 64, in sponza scene, fully dynamic mode)

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            The README says 100 Mrays/s
            Typo fixed, thanks.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

well that's cool, but I hope they actually will make use of the VK_NVX_raytracing extension, even if their primary focus is making the need for RTX cores obsolete, it's better to embrace them rather than ignore them. Better to make a library that works as well as it can on everything, than make a library that works as well as it can on everything besides X line of cards.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                well that's cool, but I hope they actually will make use of the VK_NVX_raytracing extension, even if their primary focus is making the need for RTX cores obsolete, it's better to embrace them rather than ignore them. Better to make a library that works as well as it can on everything, than make a library that works as well as it can on everything besides X line of cards.
                According to them, they plan to tackle this in november (also written on the phoronix brief). I wouldn't be surprised if this was older than nVidia's RTX announcement, so give them a bit of time, will you?

Thanks for fixing the typo, Michael. Though the unit is still wrong (/r instead of /s, but that's understandable).

Comment

So... how many Mrays/s does the 2080 (Ti) have? Without a reference point, how are we supposed to know how good this number is?

Either way, great to see this kind of work. Gets me to wonder if secondary GPUs may make a comeback, for raytracing purposes. Unlike PhysX, this isn't so locked down, where this may become a reality. Could be a great use for IGPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Typo fixed, thanks.
                    It still read-

Originally posted by M@yeulC
                    (/r instead of /s, but that's understandable).
                    never mind...................

Comment

Working...
                    X