Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.21 Preview Brings Some Linux Improvements

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.21 Preview Brings Some Linux Improvements

Epic Games announced the debut today of the Unreal Engine 4.21 public preview...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there any games that use Unreal that support Linux natively? Like AAA games I mean? Given it's support for Linux as a target has been around for a long time, I'm surprised not to see more.

We've had games ported like Tomb Raider, Mad Max and DoW3, and I don't know what engines they used but I don't think they supported Linux natively before they were ported to Linux. So I imagine it was a lot harder to port those. But if you've got an UE4 game, of which there are lots, I would imagine it's a lot easier to create a Linux version because the tooling already supports Linux as a target. But they just haven't appeared (correct me if I'm wrong), and that surprises me.

Comment

Its too bad they canceled Unreal Tournament. 😭

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Its too bad they canceled Unreal Tournament. 😭
        They did!? That's annoying. Unfortunately, they had to spend all their time and money on Fortnite and Paragon. They're not bad games, but I prefer UT. I don't have the time or interest to get good at either of those.

Comment

Originally posted by michal
          what changed over the time? we had 600 distributions back then - now we have almost 900. situation with games improved a lot, but we still don't have a Linu version of GTA at the same day that we have Windows version. and we still don't have a Photoshop.
          We also don't have itunes. That's a big one because of iphones market share. I had to put windows on one of my friends laptops because I couldn't get itunes to work, apart from that he seemed to be ok with Linux Mint.

There is also nobody pushing Linux desktop very aggressively in terms of canvassing to get programs ported and getting IHVs to ship PCs with Linux etc. One of the big user friendly distros (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Manjaro etc) needs to take up that mantle and make it happen. Microsoft is very aggressive in terms of pursuing big organizations, govts etc to make sure they use Windows and also making deals IHVs so PC ship with windows, Microsoft if good at selling. Most people just use the OS that the PC comes with. Here in Linux world we make a good OS but who is selling it to the masses?? (i don't mean for money)
          Last edited by humbug; 10 October 2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            They did!? That's annoying. Unfortunately, they had to spend all their time and money on Fortnite and Paragon. They're not bad games, but I prefer UT. I don't have the time or interest to get good at either of those.
            It looks that way.

To quote Wikipedia:
            Originally posted by Wikipedia
            As of July 2018, there have been no new updates; suggesting that the game's development has been halted or cancelled. The bulk of the developer team has since transitioned to develop and maintain the Fortnite Battle Royale mode.

Comment

ten or twelve years ago I was sure that the reason of not wide Linux desktop adaptation was:
              - lack of professional software like photoshop, autocad etc.
              - lack of good, native games
              - large amount of different distributions - market fragmentation

what changed over the time? we had 600 distributions back then - now we have almost 900. situation with games improved a lot, but we still don't have a Linu version of GTA at the same day that we have Windows version. and we still don't have a Photoshop.

and over these 12 years Linux desktop market share grove from 0,99% to 1,24%...
              maybe you need 1200 distributions?!

Reason Why we have better drivers its because Linux grow has been massive...even IBM can't deny it anymore..
              Ofcourse Linux grew on what it was best, on server ofcourse..

But its on server were big money can come now, its a new market.
              the games market is already established..

Now AMD and Nvidia needs to rush, in the big cat and mouse game..

Comment

I'm only talking about desktop market here. I know that Linux is server king and also mobile phone king. but this doesn't help in any magic way in it's desktop market share.

and I'm afraid that even 1500 distributions will not change it. because it's not about quantity, it's about quality.
                A big number of distributions will fragment more, the problem here is focus..
                As a fragmented space that Open Source are in general, is dificult to , focus on things that mather most..
                for me that's the problem..

Comment

Working...
                X