Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage For September Revised Slightly Higher

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage For September Revised Slightly Higher

The initial Steam Linux market-share figures for September showed a rise in Linux gamers which isn't too surprising given the recent roll-out of Steam Play / Proton. It turns out those figures are even higher than originally reported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, does this mean their numbers were wrong for just this month, or since the start? Or some time in between?

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
      So, does this mean their numbers were wrong for just this month, or since the start? Or some time in between?
      You know the market is small when we are squabbling over rounding errors!

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
        The survey now says 0.78 with +0.11, so seems at least the previous month was also wrong initially.

Highlights how ridiculous focusing on such numbers is.
        Last edited by Otus; 03 October 2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

As steamplay gets better I'm sure it will increase. ATM as good as steamplay is, its still rather touch and go for many things.

Also a few companies releasing broken Linux games doesn't help!

I think if your making a game with UE4 or Unity engine you should really focus on updating to the latest beta with Vulkan support but many developers are just sticking with quite old versions that don't have Vulkan. (Ark is a perfect example)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            As steamplay gets better I'm sure it will increase. ATM as good as steamplay is, its still rather touch and go for many things.

Also a few companies releasing broken Linux games doesn't help!

I think if your making a game with UE4 or Unity engine you should really focus on updating to the latest beta with Vulkan support but many developers are just sticking with quite old versions that don't have Vulkan. (Ark is a perfect example)
            It's also super frustrating when, despite how much great work has gone into things like wine and DXKV, it's often the annoying little "side-ware" which brings things crashing down. For example, when trying to run Max Payne 3, regardless of how well DXVK will be able to handle the graphics the whole thing is broken because of rockstar social club. The same thing goes for many games with uPlay dependencies, and of course you can dig all the way down into the crap like denuvo.
            The ironic thing is many of these problems also seem to piss off people playing natively on Windows too....

Comment

denuvo is used because for some reason devs think stopping pirates for a month at initial release will somehow make them more money, it doesn't because allot of people who pirate games also buy more games on average than those whom don't.

I will very often download a pirate copy of game and play through it and then buy the official steam copy later on if I deem it worth while, SADLY many games have HUGE bugs at launch that takes months to fix, for example The Bards Tale IV, buggy mess which I bought but probably shouldn't have!

Kingmaker Pathfinder I'm still deciding on, seems the latest patch 1.04 broke allot of things... Just makes the asking price a hard pill to swallow!

Comment

Only reason I don't use steam play very often is that I use a gpu pass-through with Windows. As such Linux only uses my Intel Gpu and I don't want to go through the hazzle to change that yet (because I can't use Gpu pass-through then)

I wonder how many people do the same

Comment

Not many as it requires a fair bit of knowledge on setting up VM's with GPU Passthrough, and there are bugs and issues along the way. On top of that most people don't have a GPU integrated CPU, if AMD offered a 8core APU at 4.5ghz I'd certainly be interested but I do believe they don't intend to go past the 4core APU's indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    denuvo is used because for some reason devs think stopping pirates for a month at initial release will somehow make them more money
                    s/devs/publishers/

Comment

Working...
                    X