No announcement yet.

Steam's September Metrics See An Increase Following The Rollout Of Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everywhere I look someone is on a macbook. Can it be that only a very small fraction of these mac owners games on their laptop? It's pretty hard to believe. Do they all own consoles or windows pcs at home or something?

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
      This <1% is minuscule amount, and does not seem worth reporting unless its over 1-2%. My 2 cents

I'm not sure what the steam user database is right now, but it was 67million last year growing at 1.5million a month. So maybe we are at 85 million now? So we are talking about ~600,000 linux gamers? All rough estimates here, might be more or less. Unless somebody has more recent data =).

Comment

Linux isn't ready for the mainstream end-consumers. You're asking too much for end users if they have to install an OS themselves. Even if venders ship computers with Linux preinstalled, the distro would need to be rolling release and dependence on NVIDIA's proprietary drivers make it near impossible for the well-tested consumer grade distros to be rolling releases. If the distro wasn't rolling release, then people would have to reinstall linux every couple years or risk either updates stopping or breaking their computer during a distro upgrade. Also, we need flatpaks to mature and become widely adopted. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge advocate for Linux and refuse to use Windows or iOS, I just think that more work needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
          Linux isn't ready for the mainstream end-consumers. You're asking too much for end users if they have to install an OS themselves. Even if venders ship computers with Linux preinstalled, the distro would need to be rolling release and dependence on NVIDIA's proprietary drivers make it near impossible for the well-tested consumer grade distros to be rolling releases. If the distro wasn't rolling release, then people would have to reinstall linux every couple years or risk either updates stopping or breaking their computer during a distro upgrade. Also, we need flatpaks to mature and become widely adopted. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge advocate for Linux and refuse to use Windows or iOS, I just think that more work needs to be done.
          I think you can't put Well-Tested & Rolling-Release in the same sentence as that does not exist, on a OS level particulary. Something to be Well-Tested takes time, but Rolling-Release is always in hurry

Rolling-Release is also OS development model, where all users are actually more or less testers . They might not be testers only if you convince them how they are not, by various political or marketing methods
          It is pure utopia to expect how mainstream end-consumers would roll everything without issues Even developers can't, as sooner or later some regression or new issue appear
          Last edited by dungeon; 02 October 2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Henk717 View Post
            How do they get these metrics?
            The steam hardware surveys are an absolute joke, i only get them one time per survey and its always a popup without the option to do it later.
            Result? I usually get them on my work laptop which has steam to run my Displayfusion license, Windows partition or linux laptop.
            There is absolutely no way to re-take the survey either so that they can collect all your devices and the chance of them counting me as Linux is essentially 1/3.
            I hope that one day steam fixes this and allows you to do the survey at will and build a profile of devices with the option to update these profiles if need be.
            That way they would know ALL the hardware i run, and ALL the operating systems i run rather then just whatever i use that very moment.
            And if they are at it they should add an option to opt out of the software survey as i still think its ridiculous they collect everything that is installed on the PC as well.
            Of all the people in the world only Linux users are not sufficiently represented in Steam HW Survey, right. Oh, wait, I have a ton of friends who are on Windows and who've never seen a confirmation to participate.

You might want to take the crown off you head.

This idiocy has been repeated on Linux forums so many times it's become tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
              There's a ton of work to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                That sounds more like a bashing article than a to-do article.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  That sounds more like a bashing article than a to-do article.
                  Anything in particular that is wrong with it? Or it's just your feeling that it's wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    most Linux users are on low gpu performance laptops
                    baseless claim

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      Linux on the desktop was and remains a joke.
                      according to your definition osx on desktop remains 4.11 jokes

Comment

Working...
                      X