No announcement yet.

Steam's September Metrics See An Increase Following The Rollout Of Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even thought I don't have the time to play games, or play games that often, I still open on Steam every so often and run a game just to make sure I contribute to Steam's GNU/Linux statistics. I recently got the option to opt-in for the Steam HW survey, which I gladly did. Hopefully this will encourage developers to continue, or start, developing for GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      So 0.59 became 0.71

Or in other words the market grew from 100% to 120.33% in a month. Nice.
      Considering the survey almost always pops up when you launch steam on a new device or a device you haven't used it on in more than half a year, that is probably just all the people testing the new feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

Random fluctuation? What are you on about? The number of people running Steam on Linux has been steadily growing and the rate of growth is starting to increase.
        We've already had several months with Steam Linux usage above 1% and several months where it fell below 0.7%. If its a steady growth for you, then your 12cm penis might be steadily growing too.

Comment

How do they get these metrics?
          The steam hardware surveys are an absolute joke, i only get them one time per survey and its always a popup without the option to do it later.
          Result? I usually get them on my work laptop which has steam to run my Displayfusion license, Windows partition or linux laptop.
          There is absolutely no way to re-take the survey either so that they can collect all your devices and the chance of them counting me as Linux is essentially 1/3.
          I hope that one day steam fixes this and allows you to do the survey at will and build a profile of devices with the option to update these profiles if need be.
          That way they would know ALL the hardware i run, and ALL the operating systems i run rather then just whatever i use that very moment.
          And if they are at it they should add an option to opt out of the software survey as i still think its ridiculous they collect everything that is installed on the PC as well.

Comment

Steam Play is quite in its early steps still and the system requirements are considerably high. I wouldn't expect it to make a huge impact other than PR-wise ywt

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Valve should think of changing "Physical CPUs" to "Cores", adding more speeds to "Network Speed", and under "Other Features" remove "SSE2/3" (seems like Steam requires it so there is no point in counting), and add Ext4 (besides NTFS).
              I totally agree. Thread count could also be very useful too (at the very least, just a "SMT" boolean indicator would suffice, since for x86 CPUs it's always double the core count).

Originally posted by b8e5n View Post
              Prepare yourselves for another .10% next month, I was asked for the survey yesterday! ...After more than 1 year...
              Originally posted by Termy View Post
              yeah, me to - first time since i ditched dualbooting windoze for good 4 years ago ^^
              Me too (for both being prompted the survey and ditching Windows in dual-boot). Kind of strange how suddenly Steam seems to be asking people for the survey. Really gets me to question how much higher the % of Linux users actually is.

Comment

I still play a few games on upstream Wine rather than through Proton due to a couple of reasons:
                - Upstream wine having fixes for a few issues I have, such as fixed audio in Skyrim: Special Edition
                - Native GarrysMod port crashes after it goes past 4GB VRAM (which it does quickly when joining a populated server), when running it through Wine it's fine (damn 32-bit games)

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

It will take a bit longer for that to happen I think because most Linux users are on low gpu performance laptops. Linux can reach that percentage when Ryzen becomes more mainstream in laptops.
                  Doesn't help when those laptops have broken drivers. I have a few old laptops where two have Nvidia GPU's that are so old that I can't use the 304 driver on Ubuntu 18.04 so I need to use Nouveau, but a lot of things just don't work with Nouveau. Minecraft won't start, and neither will Steam. Not a Steam game, but Steam itself. The other old machines I have are using a Radeon HD 5000 or 6000 GPU which only supports OpenGL 3.3 at best.

Intel users have it best cause Vulkan support exists on Linux, but not on Windows for some older Intel GPUs. Meanwhile AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 users not only don't have anything past OpenGL 3.3, but no Vulkan either.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

We've already had several months with Steam Linux usage above 1% and several months where it fell below 0.7%. If its a steady growth for you, then your 12cm penis might be steadily growing too.
                    You can't be this stupid can you? The total number of steam users has been growing, 0.7% equals more people now then 1% did last year. The actually number of people using Steam on Linux has been continually growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Doesn't help when those laptops have broken drivers. I have a few old laptops where two have Nvidia GPU's that are so old that I can't use the 304 driver on Ubuntu 18.04 so I need to use Nouveau, but a lot of things just don't work with Nouveau. Minecraft won't start, and neither will Steam. Not a Steam game, but Steam itself.
                      Downgrade X to make 304 driver work or use Debian 9, since that comes with X 1.19

The other old machines I have are using a Radeon HD 5000 or 6000 GPU which only supports OpenGL 3.3 at best.
                      Use Debian 8 and FGLRX 15.9 that supports GL 4 on HD 5/600 or on Debian 9 downgrade X to version of Debian 8 and push the same FGLRX

SInce Debian 7 is still supported , someone could still use 6 years dropped FGLRX-legacy on HD 2/3/4000 cards there, without downgrading anything as everything is already there

I mean no one could stop you if you wanna make old stucked in time blobs working in this or another way
                      Last edited by dungeon; 02 October 2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X