Feral's GameMode Gets Patches To Adjust I/O Priority For Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Beherit.
    Whilst Linux does stutter and jitter, it is a totally different beast than Windows. I had to work on a Windows system for the first time in a while again. and the system was much more powerful than my notebook, and man! The STTTTUTTTTEEERRRIINGG of everything was just driving me mad.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Cpu freq scaling is an optional feature in the Linux kernel and it slows down performance.
      acpi-cpufreq performance doesn't slow anything down in reality.

Comment

Idea for a new metric in the Phoronix benchmarks: Minimum FPS while compiling the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
          Idea for a new metric in the Phoronix benchmarks: Minimum FPS while compiling the kernel.
          -rw-r--r-- 1 dieter users 23847 10. Sep 2001 latencytest-0.42-png.tar.gz

Have a look at the date.
          We used it for Linux 2.x (2.4+) kernel preemption testing.
          I had audio (!!!), 'dbench 32' and kernel compilation on _single_ core Athlon 500 MHz / 750 MHz / first 1 GHz running with 'make -j 40' at that times...;-)

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Have you eliminated your router as the problem with torrents? Lots routers fall over with the many connections a torrent client might open. If you have your clients configured differently that *might* be the cause.
            Yep, lot's of home routers have far too little memory to maintain the connection state necessary for the many connections torrents can create. I would say that chances are 100% that as you say the settings in the Windows client limits the number of clients or he simple downloaded a torrent on the windows side that had far fewer seeders than when he did it on Linux.

If Linux would not be able to simultaneously download data from many clients without introducing mad latency then Linux in the server space would simply not exist, not would I be able to handle the thousands of clients per server with sub-millisecond latency that I do at work.

Comment

Now I think that this only affects WLAN latency but perhaps some one hacking on GameMode could add support for /dev/network_latency https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/...ntation/pm-qos to prevent the WLAN nic to enter power saving mode for say a multiplayer game.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                Now I think that this only affects WLAN latency but perhaps some one hacking on GameMode could add support for /dev/network_latency https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/...ntation/pm-qos to prevent the WLAN nic to enter power saving mode for say a multiplayer game.
                Now that is a quality suggestion. You should definitely add that as a feature request!

Comment

GameMode should implement a "Reboot to Windows" option. Perfect for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    GameMode should implement a "Reboot to Windows" option. Perfect for gaming.
                    What an odd way to spell "Install Steam".

Comment

Working...
                    X