Additional Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 NVIDIA/AMD Graphics Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I've seen speculation that the difference is in the shader compiler because when amdvlk was open sourced they switched from using their proprietary shader compiler to using LLVM. The Windows driver is most likely still using their proprietary compiler.
    yep, not just speculation, i believe bridgman confirmed it.

it's a bit of a downer actually because for so long amd was way behind in openGL performance, and the new generation of graphics APIs was supposed to be the way out of that.

So having AMD's linux vulkan drivers still lag behind nvidia a full 2.5 years after vulkan was released is not something anybody expected, nor the development talent being split between amdvlk and radv...

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      yep, not just speculation, i believe bridgman confirmed it.

it's a bit of a downer actually because for so long amd was way behind in openGL performance, and the new generation of graphics APIs was supposed to be the way out of that.

So having AMD's linux vulkan drivers still lag behind nvidia a full 2.5 years after vulkan was released is not something anybody expected, nor the development talent being split between amdvlk and radv...
      You can still use AMD's proprietary vulkan driver today, even without the rest of AMD's proprietary driver, using the upstream kernel module.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        You can still use AMD's proprietary vulkan driver today, even without the rest of AMD's proprietary driver, using the upstream kernel module.
        ... and the Vulkan driver in the AMDGPU-PRO package still uses the closed source shader compiler AFAIK, same as Windows.
        Test signature

Comment

IIRC, Michael did benchmark the proprietary driver in one of his articles and it was indeed faster than RADV and AMDVLK which suggests that there is room for optimization in LLVM that could benefit RADV and AMDVLK, and it also suggests this is why the Windows driver is faster as well.

Comment

Working...
          X