Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayOnLinux 5.0 Alpha Released With Redesigned UI, Phoenicis

Phoronix: PlayOnLinux 5.0 Alpha Released With Redesigned UI, Phoenicis

It's been a long time since last hearing anything new with PlayOnLinux, a graphical front-end to Wine catered towards making it easier running Windows games on Linux, but they are out this weekend with a version 5.0 alpha release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course it's written in Java, when everyone suggested to them not to use Java.... *sigh*

Comment

Not an option anymore. Lutris is doing a way better job on windows gaming on linux by now.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
        Of course it's written in Java, when everyone suggested to them not to use Java.... *sigh*
        Well, at least it looks good.

Comment

Java? No, thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by STiAT View Post
            Not an option anymore. Lutris is doing a way better job on windows gaming on linux by now.
            We don't need all these different distributions either.

Sarcasm aside, competition means individual projects have to become better in order to gain more support. Nothing wrong with that, and quite a bit right. You never know which project will implement something amazing.
            Last edited by lectrode; 23 September 2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Its using javaFX, not java.swing, so it being java wont be an issue. Now that proton arrived I had little motivation to use it, but I would never use it being java as a reason to not use it.
              Last edited by edoantonioco; 23 September 2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Again, all the FUD about Java by non-programmers in the comment section... I suppose Lutris which can't renew its gaming list without restarting the application is better right?

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post

We don't need all these different distributions either.

Sarcasm aside, competition means individual projects have to become better in order to gain more support. Nothing wrong with that, and quite a bit right. You never know which project will implement something amazing.
                  No one said "we don't want it so stop developing it", all they said was "too little too late, Lutris has already filled that place more than adequately", which is more or less true as things stand today.

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                  Its using javaFX, not java.swing, so it being java wont be an issue.
                  Why is that? It's still Java. And in any case I can still think of at least one issue: it will need a Java environment installed. Oh, the pain :P

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Again, all the FUD about Java by non-programmers in the comment section... I suppose Lutris which can't renew its gaming list without restarting the application is better right?
                  Can I just say that I'm a programmer and I still dislike Java? And can I add that I dislike it not so much as a programming language, but as a programming environment? I'm not alone in thinking that, programmer or no programmer. And anyway, Java is a bad choice for open source projects even if cross-platform is right in the front of their developers' priorities list; they could always have gone with good ole Qt for example.

Also, Lutris not being able to renew its gaming list without restarting is indeed a glaring flaw but I'd think it's a programming error, not a deficiency of the chosen language (which is what, Python? never cared to check).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    Again, all the FUD about Java by non-programmers in the comment section...
                    Some of us don't want to install bloated garbage just to run some shitty coded software.

I don't even have that crap Python installed so I cringe whenever I see a useful project written in it. I only use Python in LXC containers if I can't find another way.

And Java's environment is 1000 times worse than Python's.

Comment

Working...
                    X