Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ioquake3-Derived Spearmint 1.0 Engine Coming Next Month, But Ceasing Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ioquake3-Derived Spearmint 1.0 Engine Coming Next Month, But Ceasing Development

Phoronix: Ioquake3-Derived Spearmint 1.0 Engine Coming Next Month, But Ceasing Development

Spearmint, an enhanced version of the open-source ioquake3 engine in turn derived from the id Tech 3 source code, will see the big "1.0" milestone in October. But that will also coincide with the developer and ioquake3 maintainer ceasing work on this engine now with an eighteen year lineage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is one project I have really enjoyed over the years. I still regularly have Q3A tournaments with my fellow colleagues.
    Its just nice to know that whatever platform you use, you can all pretty much play this game (whether you are good at it or not is a different story

And its weird, I still see the game as good looking and "AAA". After all, it is still quite resource intensive and the majority of tablets and things will still struggle to play it smoothly.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 19 September 2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X