Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikkel View Post
    "Confirmed"? Seriously?
    By itself perhaps you could speculate that it was server-only code, but the fact that they hired at least one developer to port Windows games to Linux means the chances are good that it could be for a Linux Steam client. No, I don't think they were just talking about server-side, you usually don't say things like "port Windows games to Linux" or whatnot when you're talking about only the server software.

Either way, it's just hype but if true then that's good. I'll celebrate once they actually release some games I want to play for Linux, but until then I'm as cautious as I am with Epic and UT3. Left 4 Dead looks like it might be sorta good...

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      By itself perhaps you could speculate that it was server-only code, but the fact that they hired at least one developer to port Windows games to Linux means the chances are good that it could be for a Linux Steam client. No, I don't think they were just talking about server-side, you usually don't say things like "port Windows games to Linux" or whatnot when you're talking about only the server software.
      Unfortunately yes. I think this is not a client but a server. A real client requires OpenGL support and Source does NOT have OpenGL support so up to now it's pure vapor-news.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
        , but the fact that they hired at least one developer to port Windows games to Linux means the chances are good that it could be for a Linux Steam client.
        There is no confirmation on that. The job posting is still there. http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html. The "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." can just as easily be for the server side and not the clients. Ryan ports lots of games on the server side only for example. Notice the job description.

Requires two years of experience in systems engineering designing and developing communications software and hardware solutions including resolving problems surrounding real-time and non real time PC- based systems using C++ and network programming algorithms and their interaction with physical devices.
        Guess qualifications such as openGL knowledge, SDL, etc are not required. That job description screams server-side.
        Last edited by deanjo; 29 November 2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Source must have OpenGL support, or do you think that Running with Siscors is creating the linux version of Postal 3 with Directx??

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
            Source must have OpenGL support, or do you think that Running with Siscors is creating the linux version of Postal 3 with Directx??
            Source is not steam.

Comment

OpenGL isn't the only GFX API on the PS3. Sony has a proprietary API, and most of the studios use it (and OpenGL is based up on that API.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonix View Post
                OpenGL isn't the only GFX API on the PS3. Sony has a proprietary API, and most of the studios use it (and OpenGL is based up on that API.)
                Right, I've mentioned that quite a few times in these forums already. Also the mere fact that something does support openGL does not even remotely guarantee a linux port. Heck even a opensourced game that supports openGL doesn't mean that it will be ported to linux, let alone a commercial one.
                Last edited by deanjo; 29 November 2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  That job description screams server-side.
                  I'd have to agree, that sucks. :/

Oh well, I'll keep hoping for other native Linux games, or at least ones supporting/working with Wine/Cider, like Diablo 3 and Star Craft 2. ^^

I really prefer buying games that are specifically for Linux though or at least where they openly "admit" it lol, like Penumbra: Black Plague. Still need to finish playing that after I upgrade my puter soon. Oh, and that studio (Frictional Games) is working on a completely new Linux game as well right here, so as far as games that I KNOW are for Linux and not just hype or hoping, at least there's that to look forward to, if it's any good that is, and most likely will be fairly decent given the games they've made so far.
                  Last edited by Yfrwlf; 29 November 2008, 05:16 PM.

Comment

The fact Source is running on PS3 gives hopes for a Linux port. The platform certainly is "closer" to Linux. And Steam does have a Linux client- But it's only for dedicated servers. It connects to the Steam services and downloads games- But there is no GUI. So the pieces are there- It's possible.

But on the other side of the coin, the PS3 port of the Source engine was done by another company. There isn't any reason to believe their changes are merged into the "mainline" code for Source at Valve. Same with Postal 3. There is no doubt the Source engine can run on Linux with a bit of effort. But Valve would have to officially support it before we start seeing Left 4 Dead, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, or Portal running on Linux.

And it's my opinion that job posting was for Linux dedicated servers. The Source engine has had a lot of growing pains, especially on Linux. The Half-Life 1 engine was always a champ running on Linux, but Source... Not so much. And the reason is probably because they only have 1 dude at Valve (Alfred, as far as I know) really able to dedicate his time to Linux support. It'd make sense they'd want to hire someone else to help out.

Comment

Have you guys ever considered the late UT3 linux client release being linked to the (earlier unknown) steam linux client release?

Comment

Working...
                      X