Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    Dear God, I hope this is true! Although it looks like it might be, you never know, it might be some server files or something else.. Can't you contact someone at Steam, like that Alfred guy for example and confirm this?
    No response yet...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I run HLDS and SRCDS dedicated servers. This file is nothing special. Steam has been "ported" to Linux long ago, or else you wouldn't be able to download and update the servers.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        I run HLDS and SRCDS dedicated servers. This file is nothing special. Steam has been "ported" to Linux long ago, or else you wouldn't be able to download and update the servers.
        How does that mean there is a Linux client just because you can update the server? It's pretty obvious that they'd only need a little bit of work to make the game run on Linux though, regardless. Looks like they just have this one single developer working on it, was probably the one who was hired by the ad they had a while back.

Definitely will consider buying it for Linux, but at the same time Linux users are sort of left in the dark since they rarely advertise it, and often don't "officially support" it or even display or have links for it on their main websites. You never see it listed in system requirements either, or see it stated anywhere really. Again, not that I'm not grateful for any and all Linux software, but it's just sad we keep getting left in the dark, having to rely on "Linux secrets" almost to find out what games out there are actually made for us since these companies do zero advertising work. Is it so much to ask for a penguin or a 5-letter word to be blurbed someplace?

Comment

Btw, you can't buy Steam. It's a free download

Comment

Although I still doubt a linux steam client will ever happen, It would be an excellent step for Steam. They would probably end up with 100% of the commercial gaming market for linux. I only play steam games on linux and I've paid at least $200 for games on steam. If they were to make the client native I would probably buy every game that claimed linux support. Right now I'm only buying games that Wine supports perfectly.

Comment

Do you know that some games available on steam have linux version which you can buy via the internet? (savage 2, altough that game is now free to play, uplink, ballistics, ...)

ANYWAY: WOOOO-HOOOO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                Dear God, I hope this is true! Although it looks like it might be, you never know, it might be some server files or something else.. Can't you contact someone at Steam, like that Alfred guy for example and confirm this?
                I think this is under NDA... So he can not speak about that matter. And besides I think they will only announce it "when it's done"(TM)
                Last edited by ZedDB; 29 November 2008, 04:53 AM.

Comment

I hope it doesn't end like UT3 native client ;/ but if it really comes out... then I think my wallet will hate me :>

Comment

Well, technically it can't end like UT3 since they haven't announced anything yet.

Comment

I really hope there's something in this. I've been playing Half-Life 1 through Steam on Linux lately. This game works well but I gather the newer ones still have issues. Native would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X