Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unity 2018.3 Beta Promotes Vulkan Editor No Longer Experimental, Various Linux Fixes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 2018.3 Beta Promotes Vulkan Editor No Longer Experimental, Various Linux Fixes

Phoronix: Unity 2018.3 Beta Promotes Vulkan Editor No Longer Experimental, Various Linux Fixes

The first public beta of the Unity 2018.3 game engine is now available for testing and evaluation...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ty-2018.3-Beta

When an experimental (beta) version of Unity promotes a feature as not experimental, I think that still qualifies as experimental.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
      When an experimental (beta) version of Unity promotes a feature as not experimental, I think that still qualifies as experimental.
      it simply means that it will not be experimental after release.

anyway, many developers will not use it anytime soon, because they prefer using lts version.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
        anyway, many developers will not use it anytime soon, because they prefer using lts version.
        Agreed, I am sticking to LTS version. I tried upgrading once and I spent a week trying to get the damn thing to work until I threw the towel. Soooo many bugs in 2018.x

Comment

It may still be unsupported, but I've found it works okay. I am at least able to get some professional work done in it, that's more than can be said about the editors for some engines.

Soooo many bugs in 2018.x
          What's so bad about being forced to reimport all your assets because the Editor corrupts your metadata?

Anyhoo, eventually this will be LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

It may still be unsupported, but I've found it works okay. I am at least able to get some professional work done in it
            Unity and the word "professional" in the same sentence makes me shudder. Don't get me wrong, you of course can be a professional and use Unity. But that is "you" being the professional, whilst Unity is basically being a retarded duck in the corner of the office

Comment

when are we getting the unity linux sdk? it's nice that i can make linux games in unity, but I want to make them on linux, not windows.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Anyhoo, eventually this will be LTS.
                2018.4 will have a chance for it. 2018.3.x probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Unity and the word "professional" in the same sentence makes me shudder. Don't get me wrong, you of course can be a professional and use Unity. But that is "you" being the professional, whilst Unity is basically being a retarded duck in the corner of the office
                  in my opinion unity might be great for simple games. at this moment I'm working on one simple simulation. if it will go fine, I'll use it for another simple project.

I don't consider myself as a professional game developer - for me it's just a hobby. but at the end of the day, it always matters if you earn money on the project and how much. if I'll succed with simple game, I'll get back to work on my more professional project that uses unreal engine. why I'm not doing it at this moment? because it takes more time and I've got a regular job not related to game dev. you understand? everyone needs to start with something. and you can consider yourself as a professional when you worked more than 10 000 hours in a specific field.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
                    when are we getting the unity linux sdk? it's nice that i can make linux games in unity, but I want to make them on linux, not windows.
                    It's been out for quite some time now: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unit....350256/page-2

The latest version is only 2018.2.7f1, but will likely be updated soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X