Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 3.0.3 Ships With 50+ Bug Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 3.0.3 Ships With 50+ Bug Fixes

If you are a user of the Wine stable releases rather than the bi-weekly Wine development releases or Wine-Staging (or now Proton too), Wine 3.0.3 is out today as the latest version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious to know who uses these "stable" releases over the latest versions

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      I'm curious to know who uses these "stable" releases over the latest versions
      People who aren't skilled enough to install multiple Wine versions and are perfectly happy with it and don't want random stuff to break on an update?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        Wine 3.0.3 has fixes for Max Payne 3, Windows PowerShell, Adobe Premiere Elements 14, ProPresenter 4, iTunes 12, and various other application fixes and general Wine work.
        So someone is seriously using this poorly ported apple developed program over a windows compatibility layer on Linux?

That's disgusting, but I guess that's the only option for iPhone/iPad users who wants to make a backup from Linux.

EDIT: I do hope though that no one actually uses it for media playback over wine...

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

So someone is seriously using this poorly ported apple developed program over a windows compatibility layer on Linux?

That's disgusting, but I guess that's the only option for iPhone/iPad users who wants to make a backup from Linux.

EDIT: I do hope though that no one actually uses it for media playback over wine...
          Maybe some day people will be running Wine on macOS to run Windows version of iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

I have used Wine for media playback and for the most part don't have many issues. In the Wine 2.x days I used to get audio freezing periodically, in the 3.x days its been less of an issue.

Are you concerned about audio fidelity, stability or both?

I have never run an audio test generator through Wine to see if it degrades.

I have the software, perhaps I will give it a whirl and see if artifacts appear.

Comment

He were concerned about using iTunes as a media player

Comment

The crappyness of itunes makes me appreciate lollypop and rhythmbox with condensed toolbar plugin.

The windows music experience has gone to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  The windows music experience has gone to hell.
                  foobar2000 is pretty nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    I'm curious to know who uses these "stable" releases over the latest "development" versions
                    Fixed that a bit, now it does not need an answer i guess if you know what development means and with what it also comes, where any progressions usually suffer from potentional regressions... development versions are actually very often upgrades.

So that is why, stable tracking software users don't do upgrades so often, but not only that... these also don't want to see any regressions during updates too, preferably never or at least not so often, updates experiences to be less intrusive so less regression prone, preferably none and so on and so forth, so these development versions or better to say something that is just a bit more than development checkouts does not fly under that model of mindset

Unlike developer mindset who like to make progressions, but also prefer to shut up about regressions and instead advertise bugzilla with various+ categories of bugs , for and end-user average Joe or less, regardless of progressions which are advertised as something nice to see there are regressions++ as a result of more often upgrades whose produce nothing but more frustrations
                    Last edited by dungeon; 13 September 2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X