X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    That is old information. Because windows APIs are stable, wine-staging and dxkv are compatible for dx9 and dx11 games today. You can use winecfg to set custom settings for every process. Do not waste your disk space and make it complex. The default value for WINEPREFIX is ~/.wine.
    It's not about custom settings, it's about the registry and other conflicts (I don't mean wine settings in the registry).

For example, a wineserver is launched for every wineprefix. But a wineprefix always shares a single wineserver. If a game exposes a bug in the wineserver and hangs it, all other applications in that wineprefix will hang on any wineserver call (which happens all the time). Likewise, if a game overloads that wineserver, all apps will suffer the performance cost.

Generally, you should launch two apps from the same wineprefix when you intend to integrate them together in some way (usually AutoHotkey comes to mind), or they are trivial and non-intrusive, etc. It also makes it easy to uninstall invasive/bloated apps that fuck up the registry and bloat everything when installed, because you simply remove their wineprefix.

Otherwise it may slow down your entire wineprefix (which happens on Windows, look up "Windows rot").

If you are a power user, you can always use a squashfs like me for a generic wineprefix and overlayfs for changes, that way you save disk space since the common base is shared.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Wine-staging with DXVK supports more games than Proton and the single ~./.wine folder is easier to manage. The store page of the Steam windows client does not work, so install a game with: wine Steam.exe -applaunch AppId

DXVK is in the wine-staging repository so it is easy to install with a package manager.
    There's no reason to use a single ~/.wine folder, in fact I highly do NOT recommend that, since it can be easily broken if you forget to change the wineprefix and install something that wrecks havoc. The WINEPREFIX env var sets the location of it.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy328
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy328 View Post

I haven't used wine or DXVK yet, but I feel some communities aren't linking DXVK solely because it means the games aren't running natively on Linux.

To me it looks like a massive step as it somewhat frees us from Microsoft's hold on gaming.

I'm all for Linux native running games, but for now this is the best option we have.
    Psiphon Download Lots of games only available on Windows now seem to run well on Linux.

In my opinion the more people use Linux, the higher the chance developers will start to take Linux as a hole more seriously. And this can bring more people to Linux.

Any excellent suggestion ???

Leave a comment:

• Timothy328
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    Is this like DXVK?
    I haven't used wine or DXVK yet, but I feel some communities aren't linking DXVK solely because it means the games aren't running natively on Linux.

To me it looks like a massive step as it somewhat frees us from Microsoft's hold on gaming.

I'm all for Linux native running games, but for now this is the best option we have. Lots of games only available on Windows now seem to run well on Linux.

In my opinion the more people use Linux, the higher the chance developers will start to take Linux as a hole more seriously. And this can bring more people to Linux.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    VKD3D isn't running too many Direct3D 12 games yet, but laying the groundwork for this pipeline cache will likely prove useful moving into the future.
    I somehow feel like pointing out that I have not seen vkd3d run ANY game at all, and I have looked.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    But they can absolutely reject your app or ban it for any reason including using an internal (statically linked) API they don't like.
    Yup, but the fact that not even Apple does that should hint that it's not really good for PR.

I mean you can't really claim that kind of request is for some legit reason. Developers aren't end users where you can pull off shit like claiming "you are holding the phone wrong" or "you can't get your data back from the device" when there is clearly a port and a tool you specifically made to read it off a dead motherboard.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is completely unrelated, I'm saying that there is nothing the walled garden can do to decide an application internal API. What they decide is the API from the application to the system, but an application can do what it wants with its own libraries and components.
    But they can absolutely reject your app or ban it for any reason including using an internal (statically linked) API they don't like.

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by linner View Post
    I wish qemu would adopt some this stuff from WINE.
    What would you want it for? To run D3D apps in windows under qemu? You can always install VK9, DXVK, and VK3D under windows. All that's remaining is a windows Vulkan/virgl driver, and support from qemu. Not here yet, but I guess that will come eventually. What more would you want? I won't thing qemu and wine could share a lot.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post
    Both examples are walled gardens, as long as you don't root your device in some way you can't do anything that the garden keeper doesn't allow.
    This is completely unrelated, I'm saying that there is nothing the walled garden can do to decide an application internal API. What they decide is the API from the application to the system, but an application can do what it wants with its own libraries and components.

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Xbox applications aren't different from PC applications in this regard, you can ship all wrappers you want inside your own application folder and MS can't say shit as long as the API used to talk to the rest of the OS is the one they want.

Same for Apple and MoltenVK, they can't enforce shit about the internal interfaces of your application.
    Both examples are walled gardens, as long as you don't root your device in some way you can't do anything that the garden keeper doesn't allow.

If you want to use the online parts of XBox you have to follow Microsoft's guidelines and they are in control. Same for Apple and the App Store/iCloud. They own the devices not users.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X