Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    Is this like DXVK?
    I haven't used wine or DXVK yet, but I feel some communities aren't linking DXVK solely because it means the games aren't running natively on Linux.

To me it looks like a massive step as it somewhat frees us from Microsoft's hold on gaming.

I'm all for Linux native running games, but for now this is the best option we have. Lots of games only available on Windows now seem to run well on Linux.

In my opinion the more people use Linux, the higher the chance developers will start to take Linux as a hole more seriously. And this can bring more people to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy328 View Post

I haven't used wine or DXVK yet, but I feel some communities aren't linking DXVK solely because it means the games aren't running natively on Linux.

To me it looks like a massive step as it somewhat frees us from Microsoft's hold on gaming.

I'm all for Linux native running games, but for now this is the best option we have.
      Psiphon Download Lots of games only available on Windows now seem to run well on Linux.

In my opinion the more people use Linux, the higher the chance developers will start to take Linux as a hole more seriously. And this can bring more people to Linux.

Any excellent suggestion ???

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Wine-staging with DXVK supports more games than Proton and the single ~./.wine folder is easier to manage. The store page of the Steam windows client does not work, so install a game with: wine Steam.exe -applaunch AppId

DXVK is in the wine-staging repository so it is easy to install with a package manager.
        There's no reason to use a single ~/.wine folder, in fact I highly do NOT recommend that, since it can be easily broken if you forget to change the wineprefix and install something that wrecks havoc. The WINEPREFIX env var sets the location of it.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          That is old information. Because windows APIs are stable, wine-staging and dxkv are compatible for dx9 and dx11 games today. You can use winecfg to set custom settings for every process. Do not waste your disk space and make it complex. The default value for WINEPREFIX is ~/.wine.
          It's not about custom settings, it's about the registry and other conflicts (I don't mean wine settings in the registry).

For example, a wineserver is launched for every wineprefix. But a wineprefix always shares a single wineserver. If a game exposes a bug in the wineserver and hangs it, all other applications in that wineprefix will hang on any wineserver call (which happens all the time). Likewise, if a game overloads that wineserver, all apps will suffer the performance cost.

Generally, you should launch two apps from the same wineprefix when you intend to integrate them together in some way (usually AutoHotkey comes to mind), or they are trivial and non-intrusive, etc. It also makes it easy to uninstall invasive/bloated apps that fuck up the registry and bloat everything when installed, because you simply remove their wineprefix.

Otherwise it may slow down your entire wineprefix (which happens on Windows, look up "Windows rot").

If you are a power user, you can always use a squashfs like me for a generic wineprefix and overlayfs for changes, that way you save disk space since the common base is shared.

Comment

Working...
          X